What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Quickly Remove Protective Film

billheard

I'm New Here
For many of us building Standard Kits there are a lot of large parts of sheet aluminum that need the blue protective film removed before installing on the current stage of construction. And for many of us those parts may have been on the shelf waiting for our attention for months or even years. As time passes the blue film seems to adhere even harder and becomes more difficult to remove quickly. I was recently working on my RV7 wings and began removing the plastic from the main wing skins, tank skins and leading edges. After spending too much time just to get to the bare aluminum using the fingertip curling the plastic method I told myself there has to be a better way. I cut time removing the film from one side of a wing skin from 45 minutes down to 10 minutes for BOTH sides. I have tried to show my method in pictures. Go to http://www.assistaviation.com/builder_tips.htm to see a full description. Let me know what you think.

Great idea!

Good job, Bill. I like it. And BTW, thanks so much for calling it a "Standard Kit". "Slow Build Kits" went away when pre-punching came about.

Great tip! Wish I'd known about that earlier. In the winter, I'd warm up the sheets with the kerosene heater before peeling the plastic off.

Builder assist?

For many of us building Standard Kits there are a lot of large parts of sheet aluminum that need the blue protective film removed before installing on the current stage of construction. And for many of us those parts may have been on the shelf waiting for our attention for months or even years. As time passes the blue film seems to adhere even harder and becomes more difficult to remove quickly. I was recently working on my RV7 wings and began removing the plastic from the main wing skins, tank skins and leading edges. After spending too much time just to get to the bare aluminum using the fingertip curling the plastic method I told myself there has to be a better way. I cut time removing the film from one side of a wing skin from 45 minutes down to 10 minutes for BOTH sides. I have tried to show my method in pictures. Go to http://www.assistaviation.com/builder_tips.htm to see a full description. Let me know what you think.

Bill,
I took a look at your web site and the service you provide building kits to order. Is this approved by the FAA?
Thanks,

This is a slick method and has been posted a few times before, but it is good to post it again for new folks who haven't seen it. Too bad you didn't see the earlier posts so you wouldn't have had to reinvent it.

Doug, shouldn't this be somewhere in the Articles section of the VAF site?

FAA Approval

Don,

Any plane I build will be built under my name as if it was my plane to avoid scrutiny from the FAA. It will be registered under my name then "Sold" to the new owner and reregistered under his/her name. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks,
Bill Heard
www.assistaviation.com
7 empennage complete - wings almost complete

Thanks!

Richard,

I wish I had seen this tip before. Thanks for making me realize I don't read the posts on here enough and could have saved even more time!

Bill

Standard Build vs. Slow Build

Mel,

There are a lot of us out here that think our Standard Build kit is a Slow Build kit especailly when comparing it to the latest Quick Build kits. I am rebuilding a damaged 6 that was built twenty years ago when pre-punched was the moment just before the boxing glove hit the fighter's jaw! I envy those of you who built the truly Slow Build kits. I am having enough trouble laying out the holes on the skins I am replacing on the 6.

Bill

No it doesn't answer my question

Don,

Any plane I build will be built under my name as if it was my plane to avoid scrutiny from the FAA. It will be registered under my name then "Sold" to the new owner and reregistered under his/her name. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks,
Bill Heard
www.assistaviation.com
7 empennage complete - wings almost complete

Bill,
The intent of the Experimental category is for "recreation and education". This is clearly a commercial operation for a kit plane "built to order" and is exactly what the FAA is trying to curtail. I'm afraid someone could end up with a very expensive lawn ornament (i.e. an airplane that can't be certified in the E-AB class). I guess "avoiding scrutiny" and complying with the intent of the rules is two different things.

For more info see this link..
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=31855

Last edited:
Guess I should check out these ideas for removing the protective film ... it's only been 12 years that the film has been on some of my parts ... :D

The intent of the Experimental category is for "recreation and education". This is clearly a commercial operation for a kit plane "built to order" and is exactly what the FAA is trying to curtail. I'm afraid someone could end up with a very expensive lawn ornament (i.e. an airplane that can't be certified in the E-AB class). I guess "avoiding scrutiny" and complying with the intent of the rules is two different things.

Very simply...Bill will have to purger(spl?) himself with every airworthiness application when he signs the notarized affidavit say "I built this airplane for my own education and recreation".

I think this is awful.

1) Selling services that result in an aircraft that should not get an EAB airworthiness certificate

2) This guy has no proven experience. I love how he mentions how much experience is available at the airport where he is based.

Very simply...Bill will have to purger(spl?) himself with every airworthiness application when he signs the notarized affidavit say "I built this airplane for my own education and recreation".
As long as each airplane is different from the previous one, it's going to be educational, right? Also, is there really a problem (legally) with this service as long as Bill holds the repairman's certificate for each plane, and not the person who "buys" it?

Also, is there really a problem (legally) with this service as long as Bill holds the repairman's certificate for each plane, and not the person who "buys" it?

In my opinion, as soon as he takes payment for his labor (which is up front) he no longer qualifies as "amateur". Regardless, this doesn't fit the intent or spirit of the EAB airworthiness certificate.

Educational

In my opinion, as soon as he takes payment for his labor (which is up front) he no longer qualifies as "amateur". Regardless, this doesn't fit the intent or spirit of the EAB airworthiness certificate.

Bill may have a hard time arguing that,

"
Assist Aviation is a build center; not a builder assist center. This is my full time job and passion. This is not a part time venture worked on in my spare time,"

is either educational or recreational. The memory is hazy, but it seems to me I recall somebody else getting busted for doing this. Uncertified aircraft manufacturer? Perhaps not the height of wisdom to advertise what is arguably an illegal operation in front of so many people concerned about their EAB rights and privileges.

I hope Bill has sufficient liability insurance. The first aircraft sold that crashes will probably cause a change of "passion". This may end up being education in another way entirely

Tip Still Works

Just wanted to let everyone know that this tip worked on wing skins I received in 1998. Just got around to removing the plastic today (Feb 11, 2010) Don't ask why so long. Most of the aircraft is built but I'm just getting around to closing up the left wing.

I actually used a 1" piece of pvc and my hands to roll it. Like Bill, it took longer to get the film off of the pvc roll than to remove it from the wing skin.

THANKS FOR A GREAT TIP.

Don't know about all of the other issues discussed but as long as this remains a TIP thread it will save others a lot of time and frustration.

Back