What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Suggestions

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
About to tackle the fuselage wiring. I have looked a quite a few RV-12 blogs and it appears to be a pretty long and arduous chore. Any suggestions or hints from those who have completed this chore would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There are some tough spots but not as bad as you might think. I used the crate the Finish kit came in as a workbench. Put a moving blanket over it and put the fuselage on it's side on it and work just about all the wiring in that position.

Installing the wiring looks like a daunting task but as previously mentioned, it really is not that bad (your back may disagree with that) just take one group of wires at a time and follow the plans.

A tip: Prior to attacking the wiring ... very carefully remove the wiring harnesses from the bag and mark where the alignment bands are with a permanent marker.

I found out the hard way the red bands can snag and move which will throw off your harness positioning (perhaps my bands were not shrunk down tight enough because all of mine moved during the install). Actually had an issue where the radio antenna wire was to short to get into the back of the radio without a radical bend so I had to use a 90 degree BNC connector or else tear up the entire center tunnel's hardware to pull the wire back a couple of inches .... so when installing the com antenna cable, make sure there is just a minimum amount of slack at the antenna end to insure the cable will reach the back of the radio easily.

Happy Building,

Last edited:
All my red bands moved also. In fact, the red band on the ADSB antenna cable seemed to disappear into the harnesses somewhere and I could not tell then which antenna cable was which to connect to the radio or the ADSB box. There will be 3 antenna cables, the transponder has a screw on connector so you cannot mix it up with the other two. The other two antenna cables have the usual quarter turn connector. I ended up using my ohm meter on the com cable shield to make sure I had the right one to the radio. So, when running in the ADSB antenna cable I suggest to mark it distinctly at the panel end.

Definitely plan on placing it on its side. I took what I THOUGHT was a shortcut and did NOT put it on its side - big mistake.

sidewise

If I was doing it again I too would put the fuse on its side. It was quite a painful experience for my back.

Back