What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick trim

Has any one added stick trim to the standard setup that comes with building a
e-LSA built RV-12. I have Infinety struck grips installed and I ran both the up and down wires up to the panel. I also ran a ground wire to the fuselage.
I did not attemp hook up the trim for the first 40 hours of flight. I am no installing a 496 GPS to use as a backup to the DYNON TOUCH that is installed. Since I now had to open up the instrument panel, I decided to hook up the stick grip hat switch wires.
I thought I could isolate the two wires coming from the trim switch module. I called Van's tech and he suggested pines 18 and 19 were the correct wires. Neither of ohm'ed out.
Can any one tell me how to hook up these two stick trim systems so that they work. I would like to keep the panel trim switch .

Consider the SkyView AP Panel

Jim -

Before buying a relay deck, consider the Dynon SkyView AP Panel. It can be purchased and installed independently of the Dynon Knobs Panel if you don't want to spend the full amount for both units.

The nice thing about the Dynon AP Panel is it has a built in relay deck. I ran my panel trim switch to the pilot input and the wires from my switches on my control stick to the co-pilot inputs. The pilot input will override the co-pilot input ... so say you were on short final and the passenger trim switch became snagged by a passenger, the panel trim switch is right there by the throttle and will override the unwanted co-pilot input.

A safety feature is also included for protection from runaway trim ... should a trim wire become grounded, the controller only allows the trim motor to run for 5 seconds.

Also there is a built in trim motor speed controller that is user programmable based on airspeed. As an example, one can set an airspeed of say 105 knots ... if the aircraft is going faster than 105 knots, the trim controller will slow down the trim motor, thus making trim adjustments less sensitive at speeds above the user defined airspeed.

Plus, you will have all the other added features the AP Panel adds to the SkyView's autopilot.

Pins 18 and 19 of the switch module are the correct pins. When the panel trim switch is pressed up or down, either pin 18 or pin 19 is grounded. The solid state logic then sends pulse width modulated voltage to the trim motor. If a stick switch grounds either pin 18 or pin 19, then it should work. I do not know what will happen if both up and down are pressed simultaneously.

Agree with Joe you can just splice directly into 18 and 19, enabling the stick switch to ground when pressed.

Agree with Joe you can just splice directly into 18 and 19, enabling the stick switch to ground when pressed.

Yup...works great. If you want both stick grips to be capable, use a double pole..double throw switch to select either pilot or co-pilot grip (you want to eliminate possible cross control).

bk6.trim.wheels.2.jpg

cd881ce94fb92f5f1bd25d8498b21dcd.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like the simple solution is to hook up my wires from the two hat switches on my stick grips to pins 18 and 19.
My confusion in doing this was the inability to ohm check pin 18/19 coming from the trim switch / fuse module.

Sounds like the simple solution is to hook up my wires from the two hat switches on my stick grips to pins 18 and 19.
My confusion in doing this was the inability to ohm check pin 18/19 coming from the trim switch / fuse module.

I was able to get back to working on trim problem today. I cut the #18 wire, cut back the plastic to bare the wires, fastened them back together leaving the 18 wire available to be able to touch one of the wires from the stick hat switch. When I activated the hat switch with the #18 wire attached , it blew the trim fuse.
So when I installed the hat switch on the stick, I had two wires going all the way to the instrument panel. The third wire from the switch was the ground wire which was connected to the fuselage. ( I.e.- the stick hat switch has three wires , an up, a Down and a ground wire. ). When I touched the up wire to #18 wire and moved the hat stick switch to up, the fuse blew.
So what to do now?

What fuse blew, the trim fuse or the start fuse?
You must have tapped into the wrong wire.
The harness between the switch module and the AV-50000A has two ends. I suspect that you you used pin 18 on the wrong end of the harness. Use pin 18 on the AV-50001 end of the harness, not the control board end of the harness.

Finally, now with the correct wires connected , the trim on the sticks work great.

So if someone wants to install trim switches on the sticks, it is fairly easy.

1. Pull three wires (attached to a hat switch) through the sticks by utilizing long pieces of string and blown down the sticks with compressed air. Once through the stick, attach your wires to the string and pull through. Attach the ground wire to the Fuseluge
2. Run the remaining 4 wires thru the tunnel like all the other wires up to behind the instrument panel. You can either run wires from both sticks or only the pilots stick.
3. Disconnect the cannon plug from the back of the switch panel, not the AV-50000. Locate #18 and 19 by looking at the back of the cannon plug.
4. Attach the four wires (two up and two down trim wires to the appropriate # 18 and 19 wires from the switch panel.

Back