What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel layout software?

Snoho3

Well Known Member
I'd like to start laying out panel options for my -9A - can anyone recommend any independent software/programs which would allow me to do that? Then hopefully print and paste full size paper cutouts to the actual panel for a full size evaluation? Or do I have to cobb together the various pieces from various websites?

If I have to do this using a pencil, I'm gonna end up with a funny looking panel...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lars

I've seen quite a few positive posts for up north aviation, and I plan to use them soon when I get to that point. And they are VAF advertisers!

Jay

I've used http://www.xpanelsoftware.com and it is pretty intuitive. Last time I used it there was only 1 RV panel but you may be able to call them to get your type. The thing I really liked about it was the library of instruments to drag and drop was pretty extensive (at the time I used it) and it provided a cost breakdown of each instrument that you dragged in to your panel.

There are several others out there that I haven't tried... like panel planner.com .
Of course there is the really precise way which is to use several of the CAD programs and download the template cad file from vans site.

I've seen quite a few positive posts for up north aviation, and I plan to use them soon when I get to that point. And they are VAF advertisers!

Jay

I second the recommendation for UpNorthAviation. He did my panel swing out for the 5 Dynon pieces. there is no way I could have done the cut out as nice as he does!

Full size images at Cheif

I downloaded full size images of all of my instruments from
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/ and layed out my panel.

I did all the cutting myself, used an instrument punch for the round stuff and a jig saw and file for all the square stuff. I was worried about it looking good, but it turned out perfect!

You can see the pictures and process on my web site. I also used plexiglass for my first trail when I went from rounds to glass last year. Even flew with it like that to insure it all was going to work and where I put everything is where I really wanted it. Worked great.

Back