What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Filter Wrench for 912

DHeal

Well Known Member
The folks on the CT Flier Forum are raving about an oil filter wrench that fits the ROTAX 912 oil filters.

See: http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/4049-the-perfect-rotax-oil-filter-wrench/#entry60189

Also see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q88QCAA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I have no hands-on knowledge regarding the suitability of this wrench (i.e., purchase and experiment at your peril), but it sounds useful. I typically use a Harbor Freight "Vice Grip"-style oil filter pliers if my filter is being recalcitrant.

In our shop we use one of the $7 Craftsman ones

Works great.

Never had a need for anything special though I guess the one on Amazon might be a bit more convenient to carry in the plane (if you had a reason to do that).

The problem with filter wrenches that work on the "flats" is that oil filters, depending on the brand, are not all that consistent. Sometimes they fit fine and sometimes they don't.
The "strap" type wrenches work best if there is room to use them.
And the Rotax has plenty of room.

Mel,

With all due respect, have you ever used a strap type filter wrench on a CTSW?

Might be a very valid point (I don't know), but this is the RV-12 forum so it is not really relevant.

So the point being made is that you don't need a $20+ filter wrench for an RV-12.
In fact the exhaust system on the RV-12 was specifically designed with the exhaust pipe not right up close to the filter to assure that the cheap strap oil filter wrench can be used.

Last edited:
Might be a very valid point (I don't know), but this is the RV-12 forum so it is not really relevant.
So the point being made is that you don't need a $20+ filter wrench for an RV-12.
. . . "In fact the exhaust system on the RV-12 was specifically designed with the exhaust pipe not right up close to the filter to assure that the cheap strap oil filter wrench can be used." . . .
That's good. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Last time I checked, the RV-12 was equipped with the Rotax engine, that uses the Rotax oil filter.
Furthermore, the thread title started was "Oil Filter Wrench for 912."
I have deleted my posts referencing the oil filter wrenches.

Last edited:
Last time I checked, the RV-12 was equipped with the Rotax engine, that uses the Rotax oil filter.

I don't think you offended anyone. My point was only that there are other options and I personally have found that the strap type wrenches work more often for me. I've changed a lot of oil filters in the last 60 years.
As far as using aftermarket filters, many people do. The mentality of Rotax is that you can't use anything that's not sold by them.
I built a Rotax 912 powered airplane in 1995 that has been using aftermarket oil filters for over 2000 hrs. and still runs great.

I don't think you offended anyone. My point was only that there are other options and I personally have found that the strap type wrenches work more often for me. I've changed a lot of oil filters in the last 60 years.
As far as using aftermarket filters, many people do. The mentality of Rotax is that you can't use anything that's not sold by them.
I built a Rotax 912 powered airplane in 1995 that has been using aftermarket oil filters for over 2000 hrs. and still runs great.
Thanks Mel.
Merry Christmas to you and yours. Great talking to you a couple weeks ago.:)

Not a problem "Driftdown", but you were implying to Mel (and ultimately everyone else that reads the RV-12 forum) that it was an important tool to have because there isn't access for a standard strap type filter wrench.

My point is that the RV-12 was specifically designed to not have the issue you described so that for the "RV-12", a $20+ tool is not needed to remove the oil filter.

I've used strap wrenches with some success, but they do slip. A good molded or stamped wrench head won't slip. In fact the grip is so tight I usually have to tap the filter loose of the wrench after removal.

Back