Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-26-2019, 06:39 AM

Type this into Google:

investigating CAN bus network integrity in avionics systems

This is one of the strangest papers I have come across in my Avionics career. It investigates the (quite obvious) vulnerability of the CAN bus to a physically connected attacker (of course the same goes for just about anything used in an aircraft today).
Anyway they "reverse engineered" parts of our CAN bus protocol (we had to laugh at this - we put all that in the public domain long ago, all they had to do is download the protocol document from our website).
Anyway - they also had a go at our friends from Garmin, you may find their findings enlightening.

Regardless of Garmin or us - OK to listen to the CAN bus but be very careful sending anything on the CAN bus if you do not have the full picture of how it is implemented - you can quite easily cause havoc unintentionally. Message rates and timing may be of importance and this is not obvious. Also you may think you can use "unused" addresses for your own purposes - but these may be used by the receivers and you would never know.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 08-26-2019, 08:40 AM

I just started doing an install of a dual G5/GMU11/GAD29B/175 system in a certified aircraft. I have an inexpensive canbus logger I've used to log canbus messages on a car project of mine and plan to do some logging to see if I can make sense of the packets.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.