What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RV info in the DFW area?

Cholley6

Hey guys, I have been looking at the site for a while now and find the idea of building an airplane fascinating. Although, I'm not sure I could do it, I would like to continue to look into it. My wife and I are on a business trip to the Dallas area and don't have anything planned for Saturday. I was curios if there were any RVs or builders in the area that might be able to show us an airplane and tell me all the reasons not to attempt to build one. I am mostly interested in the rv-10, as we are expecting our first child around Thanksgiving, but any model would be pretty cool. We are driving back to Monroe, La sometime Sunday just in case there are any somewhere along I-20. Thanks!

I'm sure you will get lots of responses to your post. Two prominent DFW area RV'ers I can think of are Walt Aronow and Jay Pratt. Both are experts in RV building/maintenance and probably can point you to any number of local RV pilots. Of course VAF itself is run by a DFW area RV'er - Doug Reeves.

I'm sure you will get lots of responses to your post. Two prominent DFW area RV'ers I can think of are Walt Aronow and Jay Pratt. Both are experts in RV building/maintenance and probably can point you to any number of local RV pilots. Of course VAF itself is run by a DFW area RV'er - Doug Reeves.

....although both Jay and Walt (and many many other RVers like me) are hitting the road for KOSH. Still, you should get quite a few responses.

Greetings! I'll be working on a different project all day Saturday in a hangar at Hicks (near Saginaw, TX), but have an RV-8 empennage on shelves and inventoried if you want look at the Van's plans and general kit quality (it's good). Additionally I'd be happy to give you a run through of tools and a pointer towards helpful resources.

While at Hicks there's a near 100% chance there'll be other hangars open with friendly folks who'd love to talk to you about their current builds or flying projects. Regarding keeping the significant other happy, there's an excellent caf? with great AC called the Beacon.

If you're looking to get talked out of it, I'm not sure I can do that :cool:

Steven

I can talk RV's having built a few and inspected 100's.

I don't have an RV "in progress", except for my 25 year old -6 that's always in progress. I have preview plans for all RVs. I will be around all day Saturday and Sunday if you would like to come by and talk.
I'm about 40 miles north of I-20 just off US-380. ShortStop Airport (8TA5).
On your way home, 380-69 runs back into I-20 in east Texas.

Give me a call if you're interested. 972-784-7544

Last edited:
I'm at 52F, will be here most of today but leaving for Osh tomorrow. Feel free to stop by if you're in the area.

Plano

I'm in Plano, just north of Dallas up I-75. I'll be available Saturday between 3 and about 7 in the afternoon. Have the majority of an RV-7 in my garage.

214-417-7611

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the quick responses. I'll get back on here this afternoon after our meetings and try to set something up that would be convenient for someone tomorrow.

Timing is everything. Many of the active are heading North this weekend for that little airshow in Wisconsin. I'm not leaving until Wednesday this year, but I'm the lazy type and I bought mine flying.

I'm two doors down from Steven and his Sonex project.

Back