What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

All you would build into an RV-14?

larrys

Well Known Member
We are planning an RV-14 build and I would like some advice from all you experienced builders for what you ad to an RV-14.

Like IFR / the ideal panel
Backup ? ?
Sunshade
A/C
Type of seats
Insulation and where
Auto Pilot

Any advice?

I would like to come up with the list of the best and see if we can build it.
Thanks, Larry

I'd go with a dual screen Garmin G3X but would spring for a GTN750 instead of a 650 -- screens on the other side of the cockpit are not as readable as I'd like (ask me how I know), and the 750 in the center gives you a nearby screen. I like the aera 660 as a backup, and it can display attitude as well.

LED everything, of course. Switches grouped in smart ways, but don't optimize the switches for takeoff, when you've got lots of time -- optimize the switch locations for landing. Have accessible switches for powering off trim and autopilot servos. The G3X and GTN have dual power inputs, so wire the second power inputs so that you can turn just those on for doing database updates.

In the cockpit, I would not go for a heavy, fancy, expensive interior. Rather, I'd have places where water bottles can live and snacks, and a small trash bag. I'd have a mounting for my portable oxygen system where I could reach the knob at the top of the bottle in flight.

Lotsa good ways to spend money here....

Ed

Back