What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interesting: Free version of WingX !

Scrabo

Well Known Member
From today's newsletter..

What is the new VFR Free!?
VFR Free! is basically all of WingX with a few exceptions: VFR Free! does not include the IFR Low and High Enroute Charts, Approach Charts, Internet Weather, Synthetic Vision, and some other IFR-related functionality (subject to change).

For student pilots, VFR Free! will help reduce their training costs. We are very pleased to offer this free service and support general aviation trainees towards obtaining their certificates and ratings.

VFR Free! is not limited to student pilots. All pilots can take advantage of this opportunity. VFR Free! is planned to be available this month (hopefully during Airventure).

Why would one chose WingX with all of those things removed, when they could use FltPlanGo for free with all of those (except Synthetic Vision...for now) included for free?

Avare is awesome if you are not an apple fanboy. In fact pretty much our only option! Also the only option where you CAN change the code if so inclined. Amazing.

Why would one chose WingX with all of those things removed, when they could use FltPlanGo for free with all of those (except Synthetic Vision...for now) included for free?

I have tries FPG a few times and never had good results, slow and occasional lock ups

why would anyone buy a honda when there is a toyota...

WingX is awesome. I downloaded FPG but still can not figure out how to use it.

why would anyone buy a honda when there is a toyota...

WingX is awesome. I downloaded FPG but still can not figure out how to use it.

Not trying to start/continue an EFB war here I never had a problem using FPG - always seemed pretty straight forward. I use it in conjunction with their companion online fltplan.com and that also works well. I've never used WingX so can't compare the two.

btw, if the Honda were free, I'd probably at least try it out :)

It has been some time since I tried FPG, but I also had the slow and buggy problems reported above. I've also found WingX Pro to be by far the most frugal of all the EFB's with respect to memory usage. I can't recall exactly where FPG fell, but for comparison, loading all of the US, WingX used 3GB compared to 6GB that ForeFlight did, and somewhere near 12GB that FlyQ EFB did. I think FPG was pretty high in memory usage too.

Now memory doesn't matter all that much if you have a bigger iDevice, but it can make a big difference if you have a 16GB or 32GB model.

Disclaimer: As a CFI I get the 'full up' version of WingX for free. But, even when I had to pay for it, it was my preferred iPad application.
That said, I see this free version as an introductory AP for pre-solo students. Once they're ready for cross-country work, they'll want the weather features - as part of the learning experience if nothing else.

It's been a while since I tried WingX, but when I did it was kinda hard to use and buggy. Hopefully it has evolved as FltPLanGo has. Might be worth giving FltPlanGo another try if you haven't tried it for a while.

In Canada, FltPlanGo is the only one to include all of the Canadian charts for free.

Not trying to start/continue an EFB war here I never had a problem using FPG - always seemed pretty straight forward. I use it in conjunction with their companion online fltplan.com and that also works well. I've never used WingX so can't compare the two.

btw, if the Honda were free, I'd probably at least try it out :)

I guess everyone has their preference. It helps that WingX has some instruction videos, albeit old..

The latest update to version 8 has the VFR free option plus some other minor updates

Doesn't seem to be free for android; 99 cents to try & full freight after 30 day trial period. Oh, and v7 only.

I've been using FlightPlan Go on my Tab A with my Stratux with poor results (locking up, not returning traffic, restarting itself) Installed Avara yesterday and it worked perfectly throughout my 3 hour cross country flight. I emailed FPG tech support today and they said they are aware of an issue and an update should be out shortly. I was impressed with their quick reply.

I’m running V8.7.0.5 on an iPad.

Same version here

I think people get confused because the app is call WingX Pro 7 - they assume the 7 is the version number.

Hilton will be dropping all that nomenclature and it will simply be called WingX.

"What happened to 'Pro7'?
In the early days of WingX, we had a WingX Pro Edition and a WingX Premier Edition. When we added a Moving Map to WingX, we figured it needed an 'upgrade' in the name and since 'Pro' had been used previously, WingX Pro7 seemed to have a nice ring to it. However, WingX Pro7 is often referred to as WingX Pro, or people ask how we can have a Version 8 of a Pro7, etc.
So, starting with the new WingX Version 9, WingX is WingX, no more Pro7 in the name. This is just a name change, it will still be the same great product, just better. "

Last edited:
Version 2 of the ?Unofficial WingX guide? is now available FREE !

This version includes details of the Android version of WingX, we highlight both the differences and limitations between the two versions.

bit.ly/2cvFoQB

Has the name changed to something other than WingX on Android? Searching for WingX in the Android app store doesn't find it... But it does offer FltPlanGo and Garmin Pilot... :)

Back