What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting GDL51R

jfisher

Just got my panel from Stein and trying to mount the GDL51R. Plans call for flat & facing forward. That's gonna be tight.

What if I mount it on it's side or vertically?

Anybody know exactly what I'm giving up? I don't think I need the backup attitude with my panel... Dual G3x, 375, G5, remote boxes, etc.

What about synthetic vision? Other things I'm giving up.
Planning to run Garmin Pilot. Wife wants Foreflight on iPad as backup.

Anybody else deal with this?

I mounted mine vertically on the sub-panel. I only wanted it for XM radio and didn?t need the additional attitude source. Works fine. :)

If you do want the attitude information, it's not hard to fabricate a little shelf either behind or in front of the sub panel, or just behind the sub panel glove box opening.

GDL 51R Mount

Just got my panel from Stein and trying to mount the GDL51R. Plans call for flat & facing forward. That's gonna be tight.

What if I mount it on it's side or vertically?

Anybody know exactly what I'm giving up? I don't think I need the backup attitude with my panel... Dual G3x, 375, G5, remote boxes, etc.

What about synthetic vision? Other things I'm giving up.
Planning to run Garmin Pilot. Wife wants Foreflight on iPad as backup.

Anybody else deal with this?

Good Afternoon,

The unit can be mounted with the serial tag facing either straight up, or straight down, within 30 degrees of a level flight position, and within 3.0 degrees of the longitudinal axis of the aircraft. It is not designed to provide attitude information while installed in any other configuration.

Please feel free to send any other questions over to us at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

Back