What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDx LogBook Function

steve murray

Well Known Member
Just starting to fly behind Dynon HDx and was a bit surprised to find there is no logbook function.

I did find a post in old Dynon forum about an app or excel file that would harvest the essential logbook data from the Dynon User Data Log. The link in the file is dead, I posted this question on Dynon Forum but no real responses to date.

Does anyone have this file\app that can be used to harvest log book data from the User File?

Thx all

Steve

I wrote my own program that parses the user log file and gets the times for start/stop and up/down along with a bunch of other stuff. I'd be happy to share the logic I use, but the program itself is not really ready for sharing.

You might find some helpful functionality with some of the log analyzer websites, specifically savvyanalysis.com and cloudahoy.com. The latter is a robust debriefing tool, but it is subscription based. The former is free but I've found it difficult to extract the actual time from the flights as it reports in relative time.

One caution with using excel to analyze these files, if you save the file (as csv), it changes the format of the date in the file and it will no longer work for importing into savvyanalysis.

One thing about the user logging on the HDX, get in a habit of exporting your logs at the end of your flight and then clearing the logs. The active logs will only retain so much. I've lost big chunks of logging by not exporting and clearing regularly.

Last edited:
The active logs will only retain so much. I've lost big chunks of logging by not exporting and clearing regularly.

A technical note. You don't actually have to clear the logs. The internal SkyView databases are always first-in-first-out. Also, you can set the record rate, and therefore modify the length (time) of data available. At 16 records/second, you will store about two hours of data. At one record per ten seconds, you can store about 150 hours. Any record rate between 16Hz and 0.1Hz will change the time length of data accordingly.

-Robert
Dynon

A technical note. You don't actually have to clear the logs. The internal SkyView databases are always first-in-first-out. Also, you can set the record rate, and therefore modify the length (time) of data available. At 16 records/second, you will store about two hours of data. At one record per ten seconds, you can store about 150 hours. Any record rate between 16Hz and 0.1Hz will change the time length of data accordingly.

-Robert
Dynon

Yes, of course my lost data was because of not exporting and overflowing the log size. The regular clearing is handy to avoid having the same flights in multiple log files. The export includes everything (other than purged items) back to the last clear, not the last export.

-Robert
Dynon

Hi Robert

Any insight if a Logbook function is on the future feature list for software upgrades? I am sure I do not understand the complexity of making this happen but seems like a needed\basic function for end users like me.

Cheers,

Steve

I use MyFlightBook.com (free) for my electronic log book. The app has settings that will start logging at a user defined speed and will recognize the departure airport and arrival airport, this will be logged in the logbook. You can of course make any adjustments needed.

This video will explain better than I am able: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1YnSAd5N3w

I use MyFlightBook.com (free) for my electronic log book. The app has settings that will start logging at a user defined speed and will recognize the departure airport and arrival airport, this will be logged in the logbook. You can of course make any adjustments needed.

This video will explain better than I am able: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1YnSAd5N3w

Thx Kevin, great idea on a different approach to solving the problem.

I just downloaded the app.

Steve

Back