What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introduction: New RV-14 Builder

jdog0411

Hello everyone,

Wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jeremy, and I am a relatively new forum member, but have been dreaming of building an RV since the mid 90's. I am a private pilot, and got my license in 1995, although for a multitude of reasons I haven't flown much in the last 10-15 years. I'm now getting back into active flying, and am revisiting the dream of owning my own aircraft.

While I was in college in the mid 90's I poured over issues of Kitplanes and Sport Aviation magazines, and wanted to build an RV-6A. I even ordered a set of the preview plans and thought I could figure out a way to build an aircraft from an apartment, even though I was dreaming. I had no money, no tools, no skills, and no place to build. That dream would have to take a backseat until I was further along in life. Of course, life has it's own ways of getting in the way, so I really wasn't able to think about building seriously again until now, more than 20 years later.

I have now made the decision to finally make the dream a reality, and am in a place now where I think I can do this. I'm getting current with my piloting skills again, and have decided that I want to build an RV-14A. I just ordered the RV-14 tool kit from Cleaveland tool, along with a few other items (wow that was a lot of money for tools!), and also ordered two of the Van's practice kits. Can't wait for all of that to arrive. Once I have done the practice kits and gotten familiar with the tools, I will place the order for the RV-14A empennage kit...most likely in a few weeks.

I've studied builder logs and countless threads on this forum, and think I have a good handle on what needs to be done and how to do it, although I have no experience working with aluminum. I have a lot of existing tools, an air compressor, and have a lot of skill working on cars, and large household projects. I also have a three car garage to begin work in, along with a ton of general tools and a large work bench to work off of. I will spend the next few weeks plumbing air to different areas of the garage, and preparing the space for airplane building. Also have a drill press, bench grinder, band saw and bench sander on the way.

I will be starting a build thread, as well as an online kit build log with lots of pictures and commentary as I get started. I'm in the Denver area (Parker, CO) and would love to connect with other builders or enthusiasts in the area. I can't wait to get going on this project, I've been waiting decades to do this!

Jeremy

Here are a few pics of the garage I'll be working in. I'll mostly be using the 3rd car bay in the beginning, until the project gets too big to fit there. Then I can expand as necessary.

The garage is a pretty good size, and I have quite a bit of storage space in the existing cabinets and tool chests. Although some things may need to be moved around to make room for the sheet metal tools.

I put a mini-split air conditioner/heater in, so the space can be heated or cooled as necessary for year around building.

I've got 220 volt power available, if I need it, although I don't think I will. My compressor is 110 volt, and I think it will be big enough to handle the tools I'll be using. I will be plumbing air to a few areas of the garage.

I'm open to suggestions on other things I can do to optimize the space.

IMG_5380-M.jpg

IMG_5373-M.jpg

IMG_5374-M.jpg

IMG_5375-M.jpg

IMG_5376-M.jpg

IMG_5377-M.jpg

IMG_5378-M.jpg

Last edited:
SportAir

Since you mentioned you have no experience with aluminum, you might try this RV Assembly workshop (https://eaa.org/Shop/SAW/Workshop_Details.aspx?workshop=vans_rv_assembly&id=2701775) or the Sheetmetal workshop (https://www.eaa.org/Shop/SAW/Workshop_Details.aspx?workshop=sheet_metal_basics&id=2701771). I took the former and it was an excellent way to get started with my project. I can recommend the Avionics and Fiberglass for RVs workshops as well, as you get further along in your project.

_Alex

Welcome to the forums fellow Jeremy! :D Wirejock will probably be along shortly via PM. We have a Colorado email group as well that you will probably want to get into.

Welcome to the forums fellow Jeremy! :D Wirejock will probably be along shortly via PM. We have a Colorado email group as well that you will probably want to get into.

Welcome Jeremy. As Jereme mentioned, I manage a small group of RV builders and owners in the Colorado area. We actually have a couple members beyond Colorado as well.
If you would like to join, send me an e-mail from a Google account. Sorry, it's a Google Group so a G-mail account is required. My address is in my signature below.
Nice shop!

Jeremy:

Welcome to the insanity. You made a good call on the conditioned space. I live in Florida and I cannot tell you how many work hours/days I gained by having an air conditioned space. Shop setup looks great.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Jereme, I've been following your build thread for weeks, you've been an inspiration to me to get started! Awesome work.

Shop space

Garage looks like a great place to build and your tool knowledge will be a big plus throughout your project. A couple things I wouldn?t be without- Good lighting. A separate regulator just for rivet guns. Noise reduction for compressor (mine lives in a closet).

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Jereme, I've been following your build thread for weeks, you've been an inspiration to me to get started! Awesome work.

Thanks Jeremy! If you ever have questions feel free to contact me anytime! Although I'm no expert yet. lol :D

Hello Jeremy, and welcome aboard. You have excellent facilities and a good start to your project. Better than many of us had when we began. Jump in and get started, and have a good time!

Welcome Jeremy,
I'm building a 7 and in Littleton, working on the fuselage now. Hopefully you joined EAA chapter 301, lot of good guys and a bunch of RVs in the group. Happy to connect with you.

Welcome to the project!

AC is good, but we need that less often in Boulder, up the road from you a bit, than heat. I use 220 V radiant overheat heaters. My shop is only about 390 square feet, but it's well-insulated, and two 3 kw heaters suffice. I have four on two different thermostats and frankly, it's overkill; not recommended.

AC is more expensive than a swamp cooler. However, the swamp coolers need a small water line. Nowadays they come with thermostats, so the benefits are that you pay less to stay cool, and get to keep the windows open, too.

If you have windows, other than in the garage door, it's not apparent. The more light you have the better. You can always unplug something if it's too much, but as a friend said about something else, "too much is almost enough."

Wirejock's Colorado RV group is a good thing. I've helped people and gotten help from it. Local and recommended.

Dave

Yes, I keep the heat on pretty much all winter. The wife likes to get into a warm car in the garage when it's freezing outside. I've probably only used the A/C a couple of times. Not really needed.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, now I just wait for the tools from Cleaveland to show up, and the practice kits to arrive from Van's!

Welcome..

..to yet another New Builder in Colorado. Your work space will pay dividends, for sure. Keep it in your house as long as you can.

Now it Begins

Look what the FedEx guy delivered to me today. Empennage kit for the RV-14A. Now comes the inventory. So excited!

IMG_5425-L.jpg

Back