What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

missing man formation -- which direction?

fehdxl

Well Known Member
I thought missing man formations were always flown north or south so that the 'missing man' would exit the formation flying west...as in the fallen flying west.

Is that what you all know too? Or can they be flown any direction with the missing man just exiting the formation.

Given my precept, it did bother me a bit at Oshkosh seeing the T-28's flying west, then the missing man exiting the formation to the north...just didn't seem right.

Maybe it's all for not...what does the group think?

-Jim

While you are correct, there are other factors involved.
AV has a lot of flying going on, with altitude and location restrictions.
Other locations have other obstacles.
After environmental issues, another factor is location of the audience and best viewing angle. Some sites have large viewing restrictions and there may be only one way to go for folks to see anything. That may not coincide with the ideal direction.
I assure you the 28's know whats right and did the best they could given other circumstances we are not aware of.

I assure you the 28's know whats right and did the best they could given other circumstances we are not aware of.

Thanks. However, one would think at a show with likely the highest pilot attendance percentage than any other airshow, the least the announcer would have done is say something to the effect that ideally the maneuver would not be flow this way, but due to airspace restrictions...yada, yada, yada... Or maybe he did and I missed it. Yes I was listening.

Best,

-Jim

Jim,

Kahuna touched on the various factors well. If the flight can be set up to have the MM turn west after the pull that's great. If not, IMHO, that's OK, as the real heart of the maneuver is the approach of the formation and the well-timed, majestic pull up of the Missing Man aircraft. That solemn moment, honoring the departed aviator, is what reaches the hearts of loved-ones and comrades...and leaves no dry eye.

Planning the run-in and pull to give the family the best view of their loved-one's honor flight is the most important part to those that fly MM flights. To hear an announcer talk about imperfections in the maneuver and the reasons behind it, would take away from the solemn majesty of it. If it is well-flown, honors the fallen, and means something to the family...mission accomplished, and the nits become unimportant. We can call any turn "to the west"...the maneuver still has the desired impact.

I admire your attention to detail Jim, but the overall result is the most important aspect. The first Missing Man I ever witnessed was for my former RIO, killed in a mishap later in his career. 4 Tomcats ran east to west, as it was the best run-in at the Miramar Chapel. -3 pulled from a perfect position, right at the end of taps. He continued up till out of sight, as the rest of the flight continued west as well. Not "standard" perhaps (if there is such a thing as standard), but one of the most emotional moments of my 30 years in the Navy.

I hope the MM I'm part of tomorrow (for an RV-8 gent gone west) means just as much to the loved ones and comrades.

Respectfully,
Bob

I agree with Kahuna and Nasty (Bob) that the nits of a MM aren't so important as the execution. It's not a time for us to show off, but rather to show respect and comradeship. I think the key word is "Majestic". I think most of us in the formation community see flying a MM as an honor. It's gratifying how easy it is to get a flight together for a Missing Man.

I'd be interested in the community's feelings about the appropriateness of a MM. In this area, we've evolved to restricting the MM for veterans only. For non-vets, we do a flyover. Our feeling is that we want to keep the tribute special. So what is you opinion?

Back