What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instructor experience...

fehdxl

Well Known Member
If a CFI was to teach a zero time student towards a PPL in an RV8, how much experience should the instructor have?

I.e. Hours of: Tailwheel PIC? Tailwheel dual given? RV PIC? RV dual given? Non-military dual given? Etc...

Loaded question yes, and I have my opinion, but I'm interested in hearing other thoughts.

Thanks,

Jim

As an instructor I would not give primary instruction in an 8 or an 8A unless it had been modified to have rear seat brakes, but that's just me.

Depends more on you than the instructor. Don't overestimate your own skills. If you had a relationship with an instructor already, you'd know if they could instruct in an 8, and they would know if you could learn in an 8.

It will work

Learning to fly in a taildragger isn't a problem. Most WWII pilots were trained in taildraggers; Stearmans, T-6/SNJ, etc. Then came the T-34s, much like a RV-8A. In the 70s the Navy tried sending students straight to the T-28 and it worked.
A qualified instructor with full controls in the back seat will work fine. I do think the key is to have a complete syllabus.
Realistically, solo in a Cub or equivalent, then start flying a RV-8.

Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts. I won't go into all the details, but the loaded question part was I too think it's a bad idea and was looking for additional things I hadn't thought about. Almost a decade ago, I taught a zero time person in a -6, but I had access to everything and full dual controls--this is different. Thanks again, appreciate your time. Fly safe, Jim

........... Almost a decade ago, I taught a zero time person in a -6, but I had access to everything and full dual controls--this is different. .........

My guess is that your student became a very good stick and rudder pilot...... :D

Everybody knows the rudders in the back seat of an 8 are spongy and terrible. If the stud (Navy term:D) in the front seat starts heading for a ground loop, the instructor in the back is not going to be able to save the situation.:eek:

Primary training

I logged my first hour and soloed a Jabiru powered Sonex with a very capable instructor in the right seat. He had full controls but no brakes or throttle control. He is a very capable pilot and instructor. I now have an 8 and can say that the Sonex can be a handfull especially on take off. It's tailwheel steering is very sensitive, more so than the 8. My instructor took a lot of time flying with me and we did a lot of low approaches before I even touched down. I did not take off or land for a lot of hours. Once I started touching the mains it was a quick touch and then back up. High speed taxis were done before I ever attempted to bring the tail down. Starting out we only flew on light wind straight down the runway. I can honestly say it will take longer than it would in a C152 but it will make you a better pilot. I believe it can be done if you have the right instructor in my case I did.

Back