VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 PM

Scott,
All early RV6's were ONLY available with manual flaps, later Van offered the electric option and a retrofit kit. I loved the manual flaps on my -6 so much that I built them into my -7. They are simple and reliable. As others have stated, you need to acquire a -6 weldment for the retrofit. You will also need the internal button and spring parts. No big deal installing this setup, although some fabrication will be required for the latching arm and internal mechanism. You will also need to shorten the actuator arms (hex is way to go), also you can shorten the handle to your liking. Since you mentioned that you are not a "builder", you may want to get some assistance from an RV guy.

Good Luck.
Jake
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 170+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub skis floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:07 PM

Default manual

Oh yes. my six has manual flaps and they came right off the Vans plans. Love'em.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Elect. Flaps

Hi I have a RV-6 with Manual flaps and I would be interested in your elect. flap components. If you'd like to do a straight across trade feel free to call me at 626-893-1774

Gabe
Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 PM

Default Elec. components

Hey gabe, I went ahead and converted with stuff I built after a kind VAFír sent me the page from the plans that detailed the manual flap setup.

I had several people tell me they were interested in the elec. setup, but no one actually pulled the trigger after I pmíd them.

No clue what itís worth; Iíve never had the issues with the motor that some have had, but I do believe it to be original (plane first flew in 1994).

Motor, sheet metal ďcoverĒcovered in vinyl, and part I cut off for actuator attachment...

Iím in Ecuador again until the 3rd of Abril, but feel free to shoot me a pm and let me know what itís worth to ya. I donít believe the sheet metal pieces will fit in a usps large flat rate box, but Iíd be happy to try.
Double exempt but happy to contribute! Dues paid 2016-2018
www.know-love.org
Old 03-27-2018, 09:27 PM

Default One more thing...

I love the setup. I actually 3d printed the button and slotted part of the plunger from ABS, and used a piece of aluminum between them. works like a champ. followed (I think it was Mel’s) advice and set the notches at roughly 13/26/39 degrees. I used this time to do what my a&p has been chiding me to do and swapped the actuator doohickeys from the homemade round ones to hex threaded ones, and adjusted to where I actually get a true zero degree flap now instead of about 1.5*.

For my style of flying (learning) in and out of short, rough, fields...it has been PERFECT! Love the manual flaps.
Double exempt but happy to contribute! Dues paid 2016-2018
www.know-love.org

Last edited by punkin : 03-27-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Note on hex actuator
Old 03-27-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I love the setup. I actually 3d printed the button and slotted part of the plunger from ABS, and used a piece of aluminum between them. works like a champ. followed (I think it was Melís) advice and set the notches at roughly 13/26/39 degrees.
For my style of flying (learning) in and out of short, rough, fields...it has been PERFECT! Love the manual flaps.
Yep, That's my settings! Been flying that way since 1993 and wouldn't change a thing. BTW, I'm about to put my flaps up for sale. I'll even throw in the rest of the airplane as a bonus.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award