What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Complete Taildragger Pilot

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
This book was recommended by a flight instructor.
Have any of you read it, or own this book?

Is it worth buying?

I bought this and other books, also read a bunch of articles on the web about the physics of taildraggers (torque effects on takeoff, ground loops etc.), landing techniques, cross wind landings etc. All were good reads and interesting however at the end of the day about 10 hours of tailwheel instruction with a very good instructor in a Pacer was the best money I spent.

Both Books

I own both books - and both are good. I think the "Complete" book could have used some better editing. Either one will give you a good foundation on how things work and what to expect. But I agree with Dave - the instructor time is where you really learn it!

I own both books - and both are good. I think the "Complete" book could have used some better editing. Either one will give you a good foundation on how things work and what to expect. But I agree with Dave - the instructor time is where you really learn it!

Spoke with the instructor yesterday. He suggested reading this book before we go fly. I have a little over 100 hours tailwheel time, but that was in 1984 (DC-3).

And flying the '3 is nothing like flying an RV, or anything similar in size. Plus it was so looooong ago!

Bud Davisson is very good on the subject. His forum talks at OSH are great. He holds your attention on any subject related to flying.

I like Stick and Rudder too. Despite its age, it has a lot to say about safe flying, tail wheel and otherwise.

The safety record of tail wheel flying had everyones attention at the time, it was not good coming out of WWII and was the motivating factor in switch to trikes for primary training after the war.

Good book, and very prescient. I was ready for issues on landing with a tail-dragger, but never considered takeoff. On my first instructional flight, I aggressively lifted the tail and ... then fought the plane as I zig-zag'ed down the runway, fighting to keep the plane on centerline. Predicted by the book, but not expected based on my nose dragger training.

Also, the "jounce" ... go around time!

I found the book very useful coming from (recovering from) a nose dragger experience base.

(I looked it up ... "compleat" is actually a word ;-)

Last edited:
I bought this and other books, also read a bunch of articles on the web about the physics of taildraggers (torque effects on takeoff, ground loops etc.), landing techniques, cross wind landings etc. All were good reads and interesting however at the end of the day about 10 hours of tailwheel instruction with a very good instructor in a Pacer was the best money I spent.

You nailed it in your summary...

Nothing beats good practical demonstration and instruction.

Just having discussions with a buddy who coincidentally has just bought a Pacer, how strange. He was confused about torques, p's etc etc. I sat him down with a cup of tea and described 3 take offs and landings with differing wind effects. He understood that easily and can now go to his instructor with a much better understanding of how relaxed tailwheel conversions can be without over thinking the science.

Ditto for me. The books don't hurt, but there's no substitute for actual experience with a solid instructor.

Recommended

I read it and Stick and Rudder and I got my primary instruction in a J5 cub. As has been said, the most valuable thing will be the instruction in the plane, but I really recommend the book as well, it's just how I learn stuff.

The biggest thing for me was reading as much as I could to discern between all the fact and fiction surrounding the difficulty of a TW. The fact is, TW is no more difficult than NW. It is a similar comparison to driving a rear drive car in the snow vs. a front drive car in the snow. Yes a front drive is inherently stable, and so you don't need as much practice, but you can end up in the trees with either a front driver or rear driver. Similarly you can also screw up a TW or NW airplane, they are different, but not easy vs. difficult.

IMHO

Tim

Ode to Taildragger

I had the benefit of my first 10 hours in a tigermoth, beautiful things to fly but as slow as they are challenging to land; mostly because they don't want to!

I think personally you only need read this, other than that go and fly as suggested.

Tail Dragger I hate your guts
I have the license, ratings and such,
but to make you go straight is driving me nuts.
With hours of teaching and controls in my clutch
It takes a little rudder ? easy, that?s too much!

You see, I learned to fly in a tricycle gear
With one up front and two in the rear.
She was sleek and clean and easy to steer
But this miserable thing with tires and struts
Takes a little rudder ? easy, that?s too much!

It demands your attention on the takeoff roll,
Or it heads towards the boonies as you pour on the coal
Gotta hang loose, don?t over control

This wicked little plane is just too much
With a lot of zigzagging and words obscene
I think I?ve mastered this slippery machine.
It?s not too bad if you have the touch
Just a little rudder ? easy, that?s too much!

I relax for a second and from the corner of my eye
I suddenly realize, with a gasp and a cry
That?s my own tail that?s going by!
You ground looping wreck, I hate your guts
Give a little rudder ? Oh no, THAT?S TOO MUCH!

The fact is, TW is no more difficult than NW.

People seem to like to repeat this. I don't know what you mean by "difficult", but there's a reason nose gear was originally marketed as "land-o-matic" and is now standard issue on most airplanes. Nobody likes to say anything about flying is "difficult", but the fact is that nose wheel is easier. The physics prove it. Same reason most people want automatic transmissions. They are easier and less work. Nothing is "difficult" once you learn. Tailwheel asks more of the pilot, so challenging is a more apt term than difficult. Those who say "tail wheel is not harder, just different" sound like they're selling something.

Last edited:
Flying a Tiger Moth is interesting...

Flying it a second time is plain stupidity - looks nice, has a wonderful 'presence' but an awful aeroplane to fly :eek:

Sadly, I have a few hours on one.........

I bought some time in a Legend Cub last fall. The hardest thing to get accustomed to (besides the heel brakes), was the deck angle during the ground roll. The instructor kept telling me to "push the nose over", which I had a hard time doing.

Back