What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stick position-RV7A

simatos

Well Known Member
Working on project setting up elevator and finding the position of the control stick is further forward than I would have expected with elevator in the neutral position. Full forward movement put the stick into the panel. Seems the short push rod is just a bit short. Pulled out push rod and length is exactly what is recomended in the plans. Im afraid i need to build another pushrod with an additional 1/2 inch in length. Question is "where is the stick supposed to be with elevator in the neutral position?" Seats and cusions are in, I have shorteded the long push rod so I think Im hooped.

Calling Van's now to see what they suggest and order new push rod materials. One last item: Cannot for the life of me locate the bolt that holds the nose gear leg in the engine mount. Anyone know the description for that bolt and I will order that too once I get the Vans folks on the phone.

Thanks in advance, Cheers G

AN 5 bolt, don't ream it to 5/16......thus why I have a taper pin in mine...no play in nose gear leg...now ;-)

Determining pushrod lengths

I believe the length for the F-789 elevator pushrod assembly is properly determined when both the F-635 elevator bellcrank assembly and center horn of the WD-610 are positioned vertically. The instructions don?t call out these orientations specifically, but they can be clearly seen on the control system drawings, either DWG 32 or DWG 32A. This configuration will result in the control sticks being a few degrees forward of vertical.

Proper length for the F-790 elevator pushrod assembly is determined with the F-635 elevator bellcrank in its vertical orintation and the elevator itself in trail.

I believe previous builders have shortened stick lengths when their panels have interfered with proper range of elevator motion. That is what I expect to do anyway.

If the -7 is like the -9, the stick should have a noticeable tilt forward with the elevator in the neutral position. Believe me, it just feels "right" that way when sitting in the plane. Look at the plans page that shows an overall profile of the plane with the control linkages, and you can see the forward tilt of the stick relative to the cap strip structure.

My stick hit the panel/switches just slightly with full down elevator, but a 1.25" trim of the stick was all I needed for clearance. I think if I had it to do again, I'd cut it down before doing the stick wiring.

Last edited:
In my 6A manual, there was a reference to stick position. I thought it was something like 5* forward with elevator neutral, but not sure on the exact number.

Larry

I cut around 3" off the top of both sticks before mounting the Infinity grips. Hopefully it wasn't too much :)

In my 6A manual, there was a reference to stick position. I thought it was something like 5* forward with elevator neutral, but not sure on the exact number.

I recall the same 5 degree forward tilt. I had some trouble getting my pushrods and controls to not interfere with other pieces and parts when the stick was straight up. They told me about the 5 degree fwd tilt .... Which I was not able to find on the plans.

Guys OK and thanks I may be closer to the sweet spot than I thought. With the push rod ends in safety depth the stick is forward to vertical. Nuts got the rod stock ordered from Vans today. Will check in the morning, thanks again
Cheers G

Stick position

When setting the position of the elevator controls the following should be followed.

1. Set the bellcrank P/No F-635 in the neutral position by inserting a long 3/8 inch socket through the hole in the bellcrank rib P/No F-729A to connect to the bolt head retaining the push rod P/No F-789. Refer to DWG 26 detail A and also the Instruction Manual page 8-17 first five paragraphs.

2. Set the elevator neutral position by clamping the elevators at the counterweight location to the horizontal stabiliser using small pieces of wood top and bottom between the clamps.

Once the above neutral positions are set then you can adjust the length of the push rod P/No F-790 so that the retention bolts fit through the ball joints and the elevator horn holes. My F-790 finished up at 85 5/8 inches length versus the 85 27/32 inches specified in DWG 38. My F-789 push rod is set to the drawing dimensions.

Also my elevator down stop P/No F-711E was incorrectly manufactured during the quick build process (i.e. 2 inches wide instead of 1 1/2 inches) which meant I had to rework it insitu. In accomplishing this rework I set the elevators at 21 degrees down (Inst Man page 15-2 stipulates minimum of 20 degrees) as I prefer to limit the amount of negative G capability.

I have installed Infinity stick grips and shortened the joy sticks about one inch during the installation. With the set up as per above and with the controls at full down deflection I have about one inch horizontal clearance to the instrument panel and about 1/8 inch vertical.

I hope this information has been of assistance.

Where can I get the taper bolt and reamer?
Thanks
Cliff

Chase bc
9a no hole t/u

Aircraft spruce has the parts, drill to S and then a #3 brown and sharp tapper reamer you'll need the special cup washer, castle nut, cotter pin, tapper pin. I also reamed the main gear to 5/16...BAD! , went with an over size bolt from genuine aircraft hardware. lots of info here on search.

i had to cut my sticks down a little asd well. I found it easy to do even with stick wiring in situ. I used a plumbers pipe cutter to cut the stick to length and then a dremel cut off wheel to slit the cut-off and bend outwards to remove over the wiring loom.

Back