What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hylomar vs EZTurn or Fuel Lube

mlw450802

Well Known Member
Can anyone offer an experienced opinion of the equivalency of Hylomar Blue sealant and EZTurn?

Thanks

-mike

I am told Hylomar HPF is no longer available. I call Mattituck and they said they use EZ-Turn (fuellube) for sealing gaskets. The back of the tube indeed says it can be used for sealing gaskets. B&C sticks to their HPF story, but I wouldn't expect them to be experts in the field of gasket sealants.

There is also a product called tite seal, which is also specifically designed for aircraft gasket sealing. It is safe and will not harden, so if a chunk gets in the oil, it will not create a clog.

JC

mlw450802 said:
Can anyone offer an experienced opinion of the equivalency of Hylomar Blue sealant and EZTurn?
Haven't used "Hylomar Blue," but if you're using it on fuel fittings or fuel cap gaskets or the like, and it's indeed blue, that might not be the best choice. If I saw blue streaks and didn't know if it was sealant or actually fuel, that could be a pain.

I like that EZ Turn is colorless. In the event I have a leak, I'll see it easily!

Gasked sealants -- no more Hylomar HPF

Preparing to install my SD20 I reviewed B&C's installation instructions. B&C says to use Permatex Hylomar HPF or Loctite; couldn't find either and confirmed with B&C they have no alternate recommendations. The Permatex company website doesn't show Hylomar being available, so I called Mattituck -- who I assume knows something about sealing gaskets -- and was told they use EZ-Turn (Fuelube). Sure enough, it says on the back of the tube that it is suited to gasket sealing. Also was told they use a rubber roller to put a thin coating on gaskets. In a later conversation with a Permatex engineer, confirmed that Hylomar HPF is no longer available and was told that Permatex 97 High Tack is an acceptable substitute. So, armed with my trusty tube of EZ-Turn and a roll of scotch tape and spindle from a dispenser to spread it on the gasket (instead of an $11 roller), installed the SD20. By the way, the SD20's inboard lower nut is hard to reach with the engine off the mounts and even with a crowfoot wrench I had to SWAG the torque; reaching and torquing this fitting properly when the engine is hung looks to be a time-consuming and frustrating endeavor.

dan said:
Haven't used "Hylomar Blue," but if you're using it on fuel fittings or fuel cap gaskets or the like, and it's indeed blue, that might not be the best choice. If I saw blue streaks and didn't know if it was sealant or actually fuel, that could be a pain.

I like that EZ Turn is colorless. In the event I have a leak, I'll see it easily!
It is indeed blue and you have an excellent point.

I have discovered though that it is the best air fitting and piping sealant I have ever used! :)

Can EZ-Turn be found in your usual HD/Lowes stores, or do folks order it from ACS, etc?? Has anyone had mush use for Permatex Red Silicone RTV? Label says for high temp application.
Thanks

Yes...

cnpeters said:
Has anyone had mush use for Permatex Red Silicone RTV? Label says for high temp application.
Thanks
It's good for sealing small air leaks in the engine baffles, and at the baffle to engine interface.
It can also be used to reinforce specific sections of SCAT ducting to prevent abrasion.... just smear a thin layer on with a wet finger...

gil A

mlw450802 said:
I don't think Permatex had anything to do with Hylomar.:confused:

http://www.hylomar-usa.com/?sicontent=0&sicreative=545748783&sitrackingid=672078

Do a google search on hylomar and there are lots of hits and many active online sources.

I just recently purchased a tube of hylomar blue within the last month or so.

-mike
What is Permatex Hylomar HPF?

Hylomar Ltd in the past has sold a solvent-free version of Universal Blue to Permatex in bulk, which they have repackaged as Permatex Hylomar HPF with our approval. This started at a point when Loctite (the former parent company of Permatex) was Hylomar?s US distributor. Since then Loctite was acquired by Henkel, which sold Permatex in a MBO, which was then acquired by ITW, and Hylomar has set up its own US distribution company. Some Permatex HPF may still be available in retail locations, but it is unclear how long stocks will last?.
http://www.hylomar.com/universal_blue_2.shtml

as for silicone

if the silicone has that rancid vinegar odor it will corrode alu. the ultra products by permatex do not. their old tried and tru blue is cheap and will corrode alu and they know it but like the rep told me here last fall it sells way to good to stop selling it.
some are called silicone some are called rtv. IIRC RTV simply means
room temperatur vulcanizing. many of the slicone will not stand up longer than a year (if that long) to oil and fuel.
fuel lube is a great product btw.

Silicone is generally immune to oil but not to gasoline. Hylomar is considered a gasket dressing, not to be used without a gasket and Permatex does sell this.

I've had engines assembled with RTV silicone for over a decade, no leaks and most auto OEMs have used this in place of conventional gaskets for over 20 years. Very good with oil, very bad with fuel.

We use RTV for anti vibration in our electronics. I've seen no evidence of corrosion against bare aluminum in the last 14 years.

Back