What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 transmitter problem

abuura

Well Known Member
My 430 was transmitting fine for the first 28 hours of my phase I period, but at the end of the last flight was inaudible to approach. After flight, I pulled and re-docked the 430 and compared its transmissions to the SL30's in the same panel (same freq, same volume level, same type antennas, same antenna location on the airplane, engine off) and got a "like the SL30 but scratchy" from one station, and "4 by 4 on the SL30 and 3 by 3 on the 430" from another. Maybe significantly, the headset side tone from the 430 is about half the volume of the SL30's, without touching settings on the headset or GMA340, obviously. All other 430 functions work fine, to include reception and VOR/ILS freqs.
Has anyone had a similar/identical problem with their 430, and if so, what solutions were successful?
Thanks,
David

abuura said:
My 430 was transmitting fine for the first 28 hours of my phase I period, but at the end of the last flight was inaudible to approach. After flight, I pulled and re-docked the 430 and compared its transmissions to the SL30's in the same panel (same freq, same volume level, same type antennas, same antenna location on the airplane, engine off) and got a "like the SL30 but scratchy" from one station, and "4 by 4 on the SL30 and 3 by 3 on the 430" from another. Maybe significantly, the headset side tone from the 430 is about half the volume of the SL30's, without touching settings on the headset or GMA340, obviously. All other 430 functions work fine, to include reception and VOR/ILS freqs.
Has anyone had a similar/identical problem with their 430, and if so, what solutions were successful?
Thanks,
David

just guessing -- sounds like it could be a mic gain problem. i believe the mic gain is set from the front panel in "Configuration Mode" in the 430. if that's not it, i would check the antenna connection. (try swapping the antenna with the sl-30 antenna).

Back