What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My under 40k RV-6

Pilotjkl

Friend
2cok6mq.jpg
[/IMG]
2cok6mq.jpg
[/IMG]Total time 600 hr on airframe and 500 on engine
ZbauzZJxmiCCoCEy8

2dh9rmr.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
It’s the only RV I’ve flown, but i’m very impressed with the performance,

Last edited:
The reality is, with that D-180 and a good radio, you don't really need much more for VFR. If you plan to take longer trips you might get an AP-74 (and servos) and wire the Garmin GPS to drive it. That will also provide air-data and fuel range on the D-180 which is nice to have.

ADS-B is probably on your list - with the 696 you could add a GDL39 for -IN if you don't already have one. There are many -OUT solutions these days.

Great project and loads of fun for the money.

It does not appear that all of the SB for floor mounted rudder has been done.
You will want to review the SB, available on Vans site, right away.

Before your next flight, check for cracks per the SB. Then get the SB done ASAP if it hasn't already been done. I am not seeing the finger gussets, but it is hard to tell from the pics.

This is really important.

I redid my panel based around the d180 an d10a because they will be supportable for years to come. I am currently replacing the ap74 autopilot with a trutrak vizion and adding a garming 400w for ifr nav and approaches. The ap74 does a great job as a vfr autopilot once setup correctly. Simple and VERY cost effective with buying the dynon stuff used and the garmin gtr200 and gtx335 new. $8000 as pictured and $12000 with used garmin 400w and new trutrak autopilot. This with give me triple attitude control, ifr enroute and lpv approach mins and adsb in/out with the ifly 740 running as the electronic flight bag and vfr gps. Both the ifly and garmin will be able to drive the autopilot when complete.

659-A5399-9783-4-DCF-852-C-4-A4-C2-ACD5554.jpg

JKL, nice one! My entry into the RV world was similar, and I have had great fun making it my own, enjoy the ride!

Great project and loads of fun for the money.

It does not appear that all of the SB for floor mounted rudder has been done.
You will want to review the SB, available on Vans site, right away.

Before your next flight, check for cracks per the SB. Then get the SB done ASAP if it hasn't already been done. I am not seeing the finger gussets, but it is hard to tell from the pics.

This is really important.

Just to be clear, SB 98-3-1 only calls for a recurring inspection every 50 hours or condition inspection, whichever comes first. I just did my tenth inspection, no cracks. Granted, not the kind of upside-down time I normally enjoy in the plane, so the finger patch may be preferred for those with available down time. :)

JKL, nice one! My entry into the RV world was similar, and I have had great fun making it my own, enjoy the ride!

Just to be clear, SB 98-3-1 only calls for a recurring inspection every 50 hours or condition inspection, whichever comes first. I just did my tenth inspection, no cracks. Granted, not the kind of upside-down time I normally enjoy in the plane, so the finger patch may be preferred for those with available down time. :)

Oh good. I should have re-read thru the SB. Didn’t mean to alarm anybody.
I do the same on the HS Stab Spar SB. Still looking for cracks that haven’t happened and the cure can sometimes be worse than the disease!

Back