What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Airhorn

I think that's hilarious. But I don't understand why. To scare the deer off a runway? Wake up the NORDO J3's?

Installed a horn

I use it to honk a couple of times after yelling "clear prop" ------ also to say "hi" as I taxi past folks on the ground!

Not an airhorn, but loud enough.:)

I actually thought about installing one back in 2008 when I was finishing up my airplane. Just never got around to it. I can imagine having a bit of fun with it from time to time.:D

Similar Tool

Had a chance to wire up the airhorn I bought for the plane. Sorry for the shotty production quality, just thought it would be fun to have the kids help with the test. My daughter almost dropped her phone....

https://youtu.be/O0P6OfAR_xs

Back when I was flying fires using a Bell 204 (CF-RSR) in Northern Ontario and Quebec, we had a Whelen system onboard with a siren and loud hailer. Ran the siren when we were inbound for a water drop so the guys on the ground could take cover. The loud hailer worked great for saying something to ground crews or at an FBO giving them instruction. Especially good for keeping people away from the aircraft during shutdown.

Would love to have a load hailer type setup on the RV-10

Excellent. I already have the parts waiting for my build to catch up. I'm right there with you, this is more of a personal amusement vs needed upgrade :)
Did you go with a Stebel or something else?

Excellent. I already have the parts waiting for my build to catch up. I'm right there with you, this is more of a personal amusement vs needed upgrade :)
Did you go with a Stebel or something else?

I went with a Marco Tornado. It had the highed DBs listed and is pretty loud!

OK, we're going to need a couple of install photos!:D

edit: I found them on your website. I love it, but man, oh man, 18 amp draw, but i still love it!

Last edited:
Love mine

I've got one on my -10 and it actually comes in pretty handy. On a busy ramp airplane noises tend to get ignored. A quick toot on the horn gets everyone's attention because it isn't expected - prior to start up or taxi. Also it's fun for tooting at spectators as I taxi by. Now the line guys give me the sign we used to give to semi-truck drivers to honk their horn.

Mine isn't as loud as this one, or as heavy. I like the sound better on this one, but not the weight.

Whenever I think about pilots attempting an engine-out forced landing on a beach shoreline, I think of what a lifesaver an air horn could be.

Without a way to clear unsuspecting people out of the flight path, the only ethical option would be a water ditching. Flipping an RV in shallow water is not likely survivable for more than a couple minutes :(

Whenever I think about pilots attempting an engine-out forced landing on a beach shoreline, I think of what a lifesaver an air horn could be.

Without a way to clear unsuspecting people out of the flight path, the only ethical option would be a water ditching. Flipping an RV in shallow water is not likely survivable for more than a couple minutes :(

Good point and something I had not considered. Sounds like a few good benefits to a horn besides a little fun.

Horn

My 9 will have a horn. Many times I?ve thought a beep would be handy about now.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Air horn not needed...... A small 12 volt motorcycle horn (2.5" X 1.5") weighs only ounces and can fit on lower motor mount frame with one wire to a push button on the panel. Plenty loud enough for any situation.

Hmm... In formation, you could give a BEEP and let lead know you're in position. Or get his attention when your radio conks out...

Might save a life

Always thought it would be a safety feature if you had a engine out and had to land on a golf coarse, beach or some other place where people were present.

Horn

Ok know this will not be well received but think about someone on the loud end of the horn. How many DBs is it going to put out? What possible damage to some ones hearing is going to take place? Just an FYI for those of you who have not experienced a sharp pain from a loud horn. Fun is fun until someone gets hurt. Check the DBs allowed for workers before they are required to have hearing protection.

Does that apply...

Does that apply to cars, trucks, motorcycles, semis, buses, trains, etc? The point of a quick blast on a loud horn is to get someone's attention...

As far as db's go, how many does your average RV produce during takeoff? What about the folks at the airport watching?

Let's try NOT to create more legislation and rules...

Does that apply to cars, trucks, motorcycles, semis, buses, trains, etc? The point of a quick blast on a loud horn is to get someone's attention...

As far as db's go, how many does your average RV produce during takeoff? What about the folks at the airport watching?

Let's try NOT to create more legislation and rules...

Ok you are a person which should understand what could be the result of it but can see not. That person which almost dropped there phone, that could have been much different had it been something else or caused them to miss step and fall. Has happened and to not worry about others is not uncommon nor did I not think my comments would be flamed by someone. All is fun until it happens to you or one of your kids and there hearing is damaged forever. I worked in a very high noise field for all my life including aircraft, trucks and such many of you have never so that's where I am coming from. Its too bad that rather than make some not too bright comment putting someone down rather to think about it first. Oh well can see how much fun it must be at others expense to do so.
And again check with a professional about hearing loss and what it takes to cause it. I had hoped not to receive this type of response but thought I might.

and...

My comments were not intended to flame you, specifically.

Do you honestly think that most people would lay on their horn to hurt someone's hearing? I don't think the majority would...and there are PLENTY of good reasons to be able to get someones attention.

My biggest gripe is that there are people who think that their OPINIONS are the only ones that matter. As such, they endeavor to make everyone else comply with their OPINIONS by creating more rules, laws, and legislation to FORCE their views on everyone else.

Sorry, I am of the OPINION that most of the folks that frequent this, and other, aviation boards, have some common sense and accountability for their actions. I believe that there are very few folks here that would intentionally try and hurt someone. That being said, the ability to alert someone, who for example, is walking into the path of a spinning prop while heads down texting, is a GOOD thing.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I respect that. The fact is, your OPINION is no better or worse than that of anyone else...

and...I am DEFINITELY putting one of these on my -10...

I've thought about the benefit of having a horn during an emergency landing but my real concern is taxiing around a busy FBO. I see people coming close to walking in front of me all the time. I really wish I could find a horn that would play Dixie or La Cucaracha, though. :D

I've been meaning to add a horn to my RV-6 for years. I'll have the cowling off this week for maintenance and the eb** order for a motorcycle horn has already been placed. Might even hang fuzzy dice from the canopy latch....... :)

I repurposed the horn pair off of a Cadillac a few years ago. Sounds manly and can be useful occasionally for ensuring a clear prop at fly-in's and the occasional oblivious fly-in taxiway wanderer, etc. The novelty is wearing off though and I may yank it at the next condition inspection to gain back the weight.

Here's an update. I'm 38 hours into Phase I and I've gone through 2 horns. They seem to melt a bit after 10 or so hours. They still work, however the sound goes from a 'freight train' sound down to a 'clown car'.

I might look later for something more durable, but I have other items like getting the plane painted that is more pressing.

Night landing safety

Reminds me of this video...

https://youtu.be/XKQP_qz4B9A

I am not sure how I missed this one earlier. At our airport deer have been hit and cut in half with propellors. The last one was a rented retractable. It absolutely ruined the pilots evening of night landings. The damage to the aircraft was a prop strike and nose gear door damage. Three deer appeared stunned and stationary in his lights. The student pilot building hours for his commercial license lined the middle one up with the spinner and missed one on either side.

I generally make at least one low inspection pass if at dusk or in the dark, but a horn like this might just save a collision and break the fixation of a deer in the landing lights.

Last edited:
I am not sure how I missed this one earlier. At our airport deer have been hit and cut in half with propellors. The last one was a rented retractable. It absolutely ruined the pilots evening of night landings. The damage to the aircraft was a prop strike and nose gear door damage. Three deer appeared stunned and stationary in his lights. The student pilot building hours for his commercial license lined the middle one up with the spinner and missed one on either side.

I generally make at least one low inspection pass if at dusk or in the dark, but a horn like this might just save a collision and break the fixation of a deer in the landing lights.

Been there done that......Cut one in half and 18k later was back flying. I did a pass before landing on the asphalt runway then I hit one. Horn would have been cool and possibly saved some money.

Mounting an air horn

I like the idea of the horn, would it make sense to mount it in the wingtip of my -10?

Mike, I am nearby, did you pull your Cadillac horn out?

Back