What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote controlled Tip Up Canopy

Hmm, kinda' like air bags on a pinto with a pair of 16" sub woofers in the back...

It's occurred to me, but if they are electric jack screws and one fails, the canopy will have a very bad day.

I'd be more prone to using a shock strut on one side & a jack screw on the other. Shock strut would follow the screw, just like lifting from one side manually.

Ultimately, too cute and not enough justification for the extra weight.

Charlie

The remote has a mini 2? metal antenna. That seems like a failure prone situation right there. I wonder what the standby current draw is on the receiver in the plane. High coolness factor for sure though.

Tried to engineer this on a Lancair with two jack screws. It could not be done since the two jack screws fell out of synchronization every time they went through a cycle. This, however, could be done with hydraulic or pneumatic struts since they would self equalize. Or, two gas shocks and a center jack screw. Then you have the problem of getting stuck inside if you have a failure or an off field landing. Probably not a practical option.

A buddy of mine had something close to that on his non-RV homebuilt. Once he got the plane flying, he removed that system permanently. The possibilities of a non-good event regarding it were higher than he liked.

He kept that plane more than four more decades, and never once reinstalled it.

Dave

I'm no engineer but I bet figuring out a way to override it if it did't function would be the hard part of the install. My first thought was wow that is cool Second thought was what happens if it fails?

Unfortunately airplanes don't have the capability of absorbing extra unnecessary weight for something that is not needed for safe flight. The air rams in this case weigh twice as much as the struts we use. Then you have the remote unit, the compressor, the valving and tubing.

It's kinda like having a wristwatch TV with remote control........:eek:

But If

Ok so the passenger has hand over the edge, it closes on it..........then what? When pulled down by hand much safer to do as unless one yanks it down nothing will happen but most linear actuators have quite a few pounds of force to them and also don't stop on a dime. Just saying don't think its too safe.

I have a friend who has a modified 6 with a key operated canopy lift and close and button inside. It works great and if I gad the skill, I would love to have it.

That is why they are called experimental. If you don't want one, thats great. Nobody is telling you that you have to. For those who have figured it out, even better!

Back