What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trimming F-419 to allow elevator up travel

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
I'll already extended the square hole in F-419 deck back 5/16" (from 3 7/8" as given on dwg 30) to 4 3/16" and still only have 22 degree elevator up travel ( think I started with 17 or 18). The tip of the elevator horn is about to hit F-412 (the rearmost bulkhead).

Do I just keep trimming the hole in F-419 further back and start trimming the rear tip of the horn until I get to the 25 degree minimum up travel?

I'm beginning to worry about the amount of trimming needed.

Finn

Trimming F-419 to allow Elevator up travel

Running into the same issue. I?ve trimmed the F-419 deck back to the F-412 attachment angle and still don?t have enough up travel. Is it acceptable to grind some material off the elevator horn itself to get more clearance?

Thanks, Tom

F-412? You mean the 3/4x3/4x.125 angle used to attach the vert stab?
I only had to trim the deck back to about 1/8" from that angle.
I don't see how you can trim the horn, given the strengthening flanges on it. If you really have to, I'd be inclined to trim the angle (only for the horn, not near the ends where holes are).

Now, if the tip of the horn contacts the rearmost bulkhead, I figure it should be OK to trim that tip -- it's far from the bolt hole.

Finn

Running into the same issue. I?ve trimmed the F-419 deck back to the F-412 attachment angle and still don?t have enough up travel. Is it acceptable to grind some material off the elevator horn itself to get more clearance?

Thanks, Tom

Mine was hitting the angle first not the tailpost. Not wanting to compromise the strength of the angle, I made two 3/4 X 3/4 X 2 blocks and bolted them.to the top of the longerons. I radiused the rear edge to match the inside radius of the angle. So I was able to install the angle on top of those with the flange facing down instead of up. This kept the same geometry but raised the angle 3/4 of an inch above the longeron giving more room for the horn to go back. I ran it by van and he said "that's probably stronger than the original" looks good.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

Back