What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two pitch trim questions

jwilbur

Well Known Member
1... Can someone give me a general idea of the takeoff trim position for the RV10? (e.g., trim tab trailing edge 1/2" above elevator, or neutral, or whatever). Just looking for a general idea in prep for first flight.

2... Position sensor voltage from servo reports 5 volts before servo reaches full throw. Trim continues moving for maybe 2 seconds after reaching 5 volts (controlled through Dynon A/P panel). By itself I'm not concerned by this but on the off chance it may indicate some other issue with the installation I wanted to ask if anyone else had the same observation. The servo reports 0 volts just as it stops moving in the other direction. Standard ray allen servo that came with the RV10 emp kit.

I recommend starting at neutral and go from there. Pitch for the same airspeed you used during transition training and adjust your trim accordingly. Once you know how much trim equates to your desired target climb speed you can start dialing that in prior to takeoff.

Based upon experience in my 10, I put in a bit of nose down trim for takeoff but have never measured the tabs to see exactly what that equates to in actual travel.

I have heard and it seems logical to me that on the first flight you want to err on the side of having a little down trim to avoid unexpected lift off.

Many thanks

Many thanks. I'll set to neutral for first take off and adjust as needed. ... Still about a month away from first flight. But getting close.

Back