What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What the diode!

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Im wiring a ground start plug set up. I have a two post solenoid that requires a diode between the two post. I cannot find anything that discribes what diode is used. I have an extra "Van's start solenoid diode" left over, can I use this for the ground power. If not, is there a part number for the one I need. On the diode, how do you know the direction current flows. Thanks....

I would size the diode at 2 amps above the coil current rating, which is probably about 1 amp. The banded end of the diode goes to the positive post. Van's diode is fine.

Larry

Last edited:
Diode electrical symbol look like this: ---|>|----. Best I can do with text. Current flows in the direction of the arrow, positive to negative. The banded end is the cathode. When used with a relay the direction is such that it is not normally forward biased (conducting) when the relay is engaged. The purpose is to limit the voltage when the relay is switched off.

Some people get confused and think the diode is required for the relay to work, that is not the case. It is just that without the diode you are likely to damage other electrical components for example your switch which may not be rated for the voltage spike that occurs when the diode is not installed.

Back