What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Used Avionics - Lesson Learned

jgbmo

I bought a nice used Garmin SL60 with rack and connectors on VAF classifieds months ago, and did a quick bench check after it arrived to ensure that it powered up and had basic functionality. I recently got to the point in my RV7 build where I'm assembling the panel and avionics. Unfortunately the audio for this unit was incredibly weak when I connected it to the audio panel and intercom. After trying another SL60 in the same rack, verifying my solder and crimp joints, changing antennas, checking other cables, I still had the same problem. Finally it dawned on me that the problem might be with the connector that was in the rack that came with the radio. A quick visual check revealed that the person who had installed wiring in the connectors (the unit included much of the wiring needed for connection to my audio panel, EFIS, etc.) used MALE ends rather than the FEMALE ends needed for that connector. I ended up replacing five or six crimped ends with the proper gender. Problem solved. Never ASSUME that the last guy who worked on your used avionics knew what he or she was doing. Doh!

Mistakes happen.

At least it isn't DOA. Reminds me of three simple rules I learned:

1: Do the easiest thing first.
2: Don't rely on the accuracy of the person who "fixed" it before you.
3: Many issues are human induced.

At least the radio works.... Would hate to go through all that and the radio is DOA

Yeah, on the spectrum of "lessons learned" from buying used equipment, this is definitely on the nicer end of the scale.

Glad to hear it was simply "builder error." Personally, I've never had a bad experience either buying or selling used, always through this forum. Others, not always so happy. Trust, but verify...

I had a friend with an RV9 he build and was about to get it flying. He had a nice panel professionally built but hadn't yet powered up. He powers it up and the 430 didn't work. I looked it over and found all the pins in one of the 430 connectors were wired backwards, superimposed the numbers I guess. I pulled the pins out and reversed them into the right holes, the 430 worked prefect. You'd think the avionics shop would have powered the panel up before giving it to him....

Back