What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bruce's canopy cover

gacnik123

Well Known Member
I ordered a light weight canopy cover a few days ago, from Bruce's, for my -4, and just wanted to get some opinions on light travel cover vs normal canopy cover. Talking with their staff, it didn't sound like a lot of difference between them. Mainly a little over a lb. How do pilots using light weight covers like them? Do you find them farely water repellent? Is there any benefit to ordering the heavier weight vs light weight? The order has only been started so it could still be changed.

I have a nice fitted dust cover for my hangar storage, but it ripped the other day. Plus last yr leaving AirVenture I made it less than 50 miles before having an electrical problem from rain killing my intercom. This ended up causing the whole system to go nutz!! Took my intercom out (from the top of my panel) and literally poured out water. Drove back to AirVenture and bought a new one. Problem solved.

My main concern is keeping as much moisture out as possible. Many of you know ,the rv-4 can pose challenging in doing this. One more thing, I ordered one with a 15" fwd extension. I'm sure other manufacturers are great, but I chose Bruce's and am sticking with them. I'm just curious about pireps with their products.
Thanks John

Same for tip-up -6s

I also would be interested on what folks are using for a lightweight travel canopy for RV-6As. Like many others, the plane lives in a hangar so the cover would only be used on trips.

I really want to keep sun and prying eyes out of the cockpit, and don't even mind taping the tip-up forward joint if the plane is left outside while on a trip with forecast rain. It should be pretty wind resistant. :)

I do like the Ground Tech cover on my Tiger, but it is somewhat bulky and heavy. It is really designed for planes kept tied down outside.

Last edited:
Edit: Out of curiosity I went to their website and my review is completely useless, the pics for the current lightweight covers look nothing like mine that was purchased 7 years ago.

Last edited:
Can't speak to the one you ordered but I really like the Weather Max from Mac's Airplane Covers. It has a soft lining on the entire inside so it is gentle on the canopy. Some covers only have the inside lining on the windshield. Light enough to always carry, takes up very little room and the price was right too at $265 plus shipping.

Last edited:
The bigger issue is space. My Bruce standard cover takes up 1/8 of my baggage space. I would think a light weight one would be much more compact.

I have both --

The light-weight one is great for trips and short stays --- I kept one on the -8A for several weeks, outside --- did fine. For longer intervals, or permanent outside, the heavy one is best -- had one on my Lance, for several years, in Florida --- held up well. So, for my -6A, I have both.

Ron

Last edited:
picture won't upload

The web site sort of sucks.... but this is the RV-9 version of the lightweight travel cover, sort of extracted from the web site -

14430.jpg

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. Seems like I made the right decision After all. $316.00 isn't to bad. I'm sure if someone local came out and measured, it'd be that or more.

Thanks again

John

I have the one VANs sells

I bought the lightweight cover VANS sells ($185.00) a few years back, it packs very small, has worked well for me so far. Biggest test was parked at Hatteras on the NC outer banks for 4 days during high wind and moderate rain. Seemed to hold up fine, and didn't come loose, no water leaks.

Problem with the one on my -8 is that it won't stay atop the fuselage in a wind. Several times I've come out to the airplane to see one side of the fuselage with the canopy cover over it.

I just ordered a Bruce's for my 6 a couple months ago. My plane has been sitting out in the alabama sun for the last 3 weeks with 3 more weeks to go. It is doing great and wind seems to not affect it. It is bigger than I would hope, but it fits nice behind a seat and still leaves the cargo area open.

Back