What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ultimate Gust Lock

jpowell13

Well Known Member
Just bought an Ultimate Gust Lock from Antisplat and was asked to write a review to this website. My old homemade PVC gust lock let me down in Moab, Utah, and since I was headed west again I wanted a gust lock I could count on.

My new lock arrived in plenty of time, but when I tried to install it I realized the foot lever was missing. No problem; a new one with the lever was mailed out right away at no cost to me.

I promptly broke the little screw that attatches the foot lever (tension probably set too tight by me) and replaced it with a short AN3 bolt. (No drilling required.) After that, no problems. The device is light and small and holds the control surfaces in place very well. I like the bolt better than the screw because you really need the lever to install the unit, and I don't want to break it in the boon docks when I really need it.

I leave the little pin in the adjustable rod in place all the time rather than fully collapsing the unit. It makes reinstalling the gust lock quicker. You have to be seated to install the device which can be a little frustrating if you failed to store it in easy reach and have to stand up to dig it out, but it's a good product, devilishly ingenious and I'm glad I bought it. Thanks Allen.

John

. . .You have to be seated to install the device which can be a little frustrating if you failed to store it in easy reach and have to stand up to dig it out. . .
I have this unit but I do not have to be seated to install. I install mine while standing out on the wing walk. It is not a problem to do so.

Steve, I shortened my stick a little. It may be that this caused a change in the geometry which makes my gust lock a little harder to install. That would explain the screw sheering on the foot lever also. John

Last edited:
I have shortened my stick also. I am not sure that should cause any issues, at least it doesn't for me. You mentioned using the foot bracket on the brace and shearing it off. I do not have to use the foot bracket at all. Not sure why you are having so much shear pressure on your installation. I put all the pins in place, with the exception of the final pin that secures the gust lock to the back of the stick, including sliding the locking collar around the folding hinge all prior to installing it on the controls. Once I have everything pinned in place, I put the gust lock onto the rudder pedals then the 'saddle' in front of the stick. Lastly, the pin goes in place through the holes on the back of the saddle and on the back side of the stick. There are no forces on it at all until it is in place with that final pin.

Last edited:
Based on Allen's video I think there is supposed to be some curve or bend in the adjustable rod for the gust lock to function properly. He puts the pin in at the stick then gently puts pressure on the foot lever to bend the rod and aline the yoke with the rod so the collar can be slipped into place. John

I understand what he is calling for. I like to have my elevator and rudder control surfaces in a neutral possition when the gust lock is in place. I find I can achieve that with no force on the gust lock when I use the third hole from the top of the row of available positions. In this hole all surfaces are secured in a neutral position. I then use a separate external gust lock on the ailerons that slides in between the aileron and the wingtip. This setup works well for me.

I have this unit and use it religiously. I use my foot to apply tension before sliding the collar on as the last step of install, perhaps to straighten out the last one inch or so.

I would not us this unit without any tension (as described in the instruction video on Antisplat website) because it wouldn't take much movement for the front end to fall off the rudder pedals.

Great little piece.

After much research and deliberation I decided to purchase the Ultimate Gust Lock last month before a trip when I knew I'd be leaving my airplane outside for the day. This is no cheap device but I also knew there is no easy way to secure the controls surfaces of the -7. Once received, I quickly realized the gust lock is nicely machined and overall very high quality. Even more impressive is how well it holds the rudder and elevator. There is a little play in the ailerons but I don't think it is enough that any excess wind would hurt anything. If I really wanted to use the belt and suspenders approach, I would slide one of those exterior aileron locks. Overall, I am very happy with the Ultimate Gust Lock and think it is absolutely worth the cost. Planning to use it at OSH this year :)

I have the anti splat gust lock and I gave it a good test when I pulled my plane 30 miles to the airport at 50 mph. I had to load the plane backwards to make my utility trailer work. The gust lock held the elevator and rudder steady the entire trip. It's not cheap but after reading about wind damage to the empennage possibly causing a crash I decided to fork it over!
71s7d4.jpg

ASA Gust lock

Just purchased my Gust Lock today, with several other products from ASA
(Almost A-14 mod, Lip Skid, Nose Job Two, Ultimate Prop Wrench, Oil Filter Tool)
and I must say that I'm thankful for all the products that they offer. When the subject of cost is brought up from time to time, again I find the cost to be very fair, especially compared to my Piper 235 costs, I actually get pretty excited to be able to purchase so many needed products for what I feel is fair pricing.

Thanks to Alan and the guys at ASA

Back