What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hot Footwell tunnel?

Rik

It's warm in California this week.. 100!

I have notice that when flying this week and last that the tunnel between the pilot and passenger is getting HOT!. Now I kinda rest my right leg against it when flying and I have noticed (wearing shorts) that the tunnel is really really warm.

What is housed in this are the can generate heat?

The oil cooler is on the front of the engine and the muffler is at the bottom of the engine but not between the two occupants..

Any idea on what is heating this are so much? Could it just be the radiant heat from the muffle and exhaust?

Rik, more info would help. Was this airplane built by you or another builder, or is it an SLSA? Does it have the interior kit option or not? Possibilities that immediately come to mind are a poorly sealed firewall, or a heater flapper door misadjusted.

I believe Rik is renting an RV-12 SLSA? If you are referring to the central tunnel located between the pilot's and passenger's legs, there is nothing in there that specifically generates heat. The RV-12 ELSA and I suspect the RV-12 SLSA as well do not use any firewall insulation. As a result, the heat you are sensing likely is radiated from the engine compartment (engine, exhaust, radiators, etc.). As noted by others, the carpeting/sidewall kit available for the ELSA and EAB versions of the RV-12 (I'm unsure what interior components are in the SLSA) helps to insulate the heated surfaces in the cabin.

I believe Rik is renting an RV-12 SLSA? If you are referring to the central tunnel located between the pilot's and passenger's legs, there is nothing in there that specifically generates heat. The RV-12 ELSA and I suspect the RV-12 SLSA as well do not use any firewall insulation. As a result, the heat you are sensing likely is radiated from the engine compartment (engine, exhaust, radiators, etc.). As noted by others, the carpeting/sidewall kit available for the ELSA and EAB versions of the RV-12 (I'm unsure what interior components are in the SLSA) helps to insulate the heated surfaces in the cabin.

Exactly. Renting an SLSA from a flight school.. My right leg gets HOT to the point whereby it really gets your attention. Carpet would help insulate this.

Especially when flying in a sea of 100F air. Do you by any chance remember
what your oil temp was during your flight?;)

Mine is very hot. Resealed it. Installed a small .25 amp PC exhaust fan on the bottom, helped a bit.

But it is one active heat sink.

Let's just say I rarely (if ever) have used the cabin heat.

Back