What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Kit with new Garmin GTR-200 Questions

cactusman

Well Known Member
So I have been pondering placing an order for the Avionics kit, and as you al know the new Garmin GTR-200 radio will be used over the SL-40, and for us domestic types it sounds like the intercom is not needed.

I asked Van's when the new form is coming out and was told that the price of the kit wasn't going change, but they were waiting on Garmin to start shipping before the new form would be posted.

Then I got a Trade-a-Plane and was noticing the pricing of the new GTR-200 seems to be anywhere from 1100-1249 which I think is substantially cheaper than the older SL-40 it replaced. Add to that the deletion of the intercom, and it seemed like the avionics kit would come in a little cheaper (maybe even pay for the ADS-B option!). Of course there is hardware as well, and you have the issue of the international radio being much much more expensive for the spacing issue.

I know, I know, how many angels on the head of pin problem....complaining about a few hundred $ building a 70k airplane.... but still, I was scratching my head.

I guess I'll wait for the order form to be published and figure it all out.

It is my impression from earlier threads, that the intercom will still be the same as always. Vans and others don't much care for the Garmin built in intercoms.

Vans and others don't much care for the Garmin built in intercoms.

That was the case with the SL-30,40,and 60.

So far I have been very impressed with the built in intercom in the GTR200 (it is a true full blown intercom). So the O.P. is correct... a seperate intercom will not be used with the GTR200

So far I have been very impressed with the built in intercom in the GTR200 (it is a true full blown intercom). So the O.P. is correct... a seperate intercom will not be used with the GTR200

But whats the reason then to offer the GTR225 with the PM3000 intercom?

The GTR225 and PM3000 combo are for the Europeon customers who must have a certified radio, which the GTR200 is not.

And Scott is right. The intercom in the GTR200 is very, very good. Wait until you hear the 3D sound. Yes, there is such a thing.

The GTR225 was designed to meet the new European frequency spacing requirements. I don't know for certain but I don't think it has an internal intercom.

The GTR200 & GTR225 have the same intercom. So I don't understand the reason for the extra PM3000 intercom. At the moment I have the Icom A210 (also 8,33 spacing) radio but the Garmin has more features in combination with the Skyview (and more power).

A slight clarification... the GTR 200 and GTR 225 each support a built-in intercom, but they are not the same intercom. The one in the GTR 225 is not bad - I haven't used it extensively, but it seems roughly equivalent to the SL30/40 to me. On the other hand, the GTR 200's built-in intercom uses the same digital audio processing and 3D audio technology found in the high-end GMA 350 audio panel, and as Scott and Mitch have confirmed above it is very good indeed. Just wanted to mention that there is a difference.

- Matt

A slight clarification... the GTR 200 and GTR 225 each support a built-in intercom, but they are not the same intercom. The one in the GTR 225 is not bad - I haven't used it extensively, but it seems roughly equivalent to the SL30/40 to me. On the other hand, the GTR 200's built-in intercom uses the same digital audio processing and 3D audio technology found in the high-end GMA 350 audio panel, and as Scott and Mitch have confirmed above it is very good indeed. Just wanted to mention that there is a difference.

- Matt

Good to hear. I remember seeing the original info that the intercom was built in and good enough that you didn't need an extra one.

The price point of 1100-1200 on the GTR-200 is very attractive as well I must say. It is encouraging to see such robust competition for the experimental builders out there, esp with big manufacturers like Garmin stepping up.

Bet against it. Cost, also another antenna, wiring, plans change etc. Why have a VOR for VFR anymore? Might as well put in a DME and an ADF.

Tray compatible?

Does anyone know if the new Garmin will be able to use the existing SL-40 tray? Or, for that matter, if SL-30s now start showing up in the used market at attractive prices, would an SL-30 use the same tray as the SL-40?

Does anyone know if the new Garmin will be able to use the existing SL-40 tray? NO
Or, for that matter, if SL-30s now start showing up in the used market at attractive prices, would an SL-30 use the same tray as the SL-40? Yes

Answers above

Does anyone know if the new Garmin will be able to use the existing SL-40 tray? Or, for that matter, if SL-30s now start showing up in the used market at attractive prices, would an SL-30 use the same tray as the SL-40?
Don't forget if you upgrade to an SL30 you will have to add one or two antennas and cable receiver on back of old tray.:(

Why use a VOR in VFR? Because its still a useful skill to have. Plus, with a vor and a couple other instruments I could have an IFR legal airplane should I get stuck on top.

ADF approaches are a good skill to have too. So is orientation on an A-N range. Maybe sextant skills are desirable too. But who has time? For IFR emergency, consider a handheld VOR with localizer/glide slope rather than take up valuable panel space. See Sportys SP-400 for $369

BTW I still have a slide rule and know how to use it!

ADF approaches are a good skill to have too. So is orientation on an A-N range. Maybe sextant skills are desirable too. But who has time? For IFR emergency, consider a handheld VOR with localizer/glide slope rather than take up valuable panel space. See Sportys SP-400 for $369

BTW I still have a slide rule and know how to use it!

Hey I got that beat. The AstroCompass!

In college we had a navigation instructor who broke these out, and we actually got tested on how to use them...in 1988:

AstroCompass.jpg

I saw one at a thrift store and actually bought it.

Last edited:
You guys are really advanced. We're still using glass beads and Cowrie shells down here.

So I have been pondering placing an order for the Avionics kit, and as you al know the new Garmin GTR-200 radio will be used over the SL-40, and for us domestic types it sounds like the intercom is not needed.

So - I've been contemplating switching from the SL-40 to the new GTR-200, and deep-sixing that ratty intercom.

Will Vans be releasing a Wiring Diagram for the new radio + intercom installation?

Without any information about the internals of the 50000A magic box, making any avionics changes to this airplane becomes increasingly difficult.

Bob Bogash
N737G

I am in the middle of the installation of the GTR-200 while removing the SL-40.
I also have ADSB and I am wondering if I need different brackets to mount the ADSB box to the GTR-200 tray?

The plans point me in the direction of section 53 but that is for ADSB with skyview and the SL-40. I checked all the updates to the plans on Van's website but no luck showing if the "old" brackets work or new ones are needed.

Any pointers appreciated!

I installed the G3X package in my 12. The ADSB bracket mounts to the panel base. It has 4 legs that put the actual mounting surface for the GDL 39R about an inch above the panel base.

There is room to run wires under the bracket. The GTR-200 tray is above the GDL-39R.

I spoke with Joe at Van's concerning the needed brackets for attaching the Dynon ADSB box to the new Garmin GTR-200.

The brackets used for attaching the ADSB to the SL-40 cannot be used in the new radio install. Just a heads up if you are making the same changes.

The needed brackets are part number F-00045B which is separated to form left and right brackets. Nut plates and rivets are needed also.

Plans page 53-05 rev 1 give the details. Earlier builders will not have this page and it is not listed in the plan revisions shown on Van's website.

Hope this helps!

Back