What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy questions

rightrudder

Well Known Member
I'm making the first cuts on my canopy (9A slider) and I didn't seal the protective film very well. So I have plexi sawdust between it and the canopy, and I need to re-do the film to prevent scratching. Does anybody have a good source for this film? Or other masking strategies that have worked for you?

Also, when initially fitting the canopy frame to the canopy, the instructions say to get the best fit between the frame's spine and the bubble. So when this is achieved, does that guarantee the frame's not too far forward? I don't want the forward windscreen to be compromised. Thanks!!

Doug....regarding the plastic,you can use any plastic sheet material for protection. Just tape it down good. Don't worry about the shavings trapped in there for now. They won't hurt anything and eventually when you pull all the plastic off you will clean up the plexi from shavings and glue from the tape.

Regarding where to move the bubble on the frame, I had the same question as the instructions are pretty vague. What I did was scale off the various views on the plans and that should check your fit placement.

Jim

If you visit your local Lowes/Home Depot and go to the area with moving supplies you'll find plastic used to protect floors or to wrap you refrigerator in to protect it from scratches. It sticks very well and is easy to remove.

Thanks for the replies, guys. It's good to finally get to this stage...I'm still sore after two days of bending the canopy frame. I think of it as Van's version of Bowflex. :):)

One more question: I'm to the point of cutting the canopy sides even with the canopy frame rails. Do I just extend these cuts forward of the front hoop? I want to make sure I have enough material to work with on the sides of the windscreen section.

One more question: I'm to the point of cutting the canopy sides even with the canopy frame rails. Do I just extend these cuts forward of the front hoop? I want to make sure I have enough material to work with on the sides of the windscreen section.

No. Forward of the rollbar the canopy side comes down lower-my recollection anyway-not at the plane. I wish I had a picture to post.

My suggestion is go visit some RV'S-there must be a lot to see out there-and take some pictures. Canopy plexi is $ if you cut to much.

Jim
RV9A flying

Thanks, Jim. I'll search a bunch of build logs to find out. I appreciate the quick and dirty answer!!! :)

Edit: I found a fantastic build log....Matt's RV-7. Thanks, Matt!! http://www.rv7blog.com

He continued those cuts forward, and barely, just barely, had enough material to work with. A super build log....many pictures, detailed descriptions, written with a sense of humor.

Last edited:
Admittedly I haven't reviewed the build steps yet, so I may be way off-base. Wouldn't it be easier to make The Big Cut [tm] first, to separate the windscreen and canopy sections, so you know definitively where to stop the side trimming?

Hi Scott,

What you suggest is exactly what I'm going to do. I made the rear cut about 20 minutes ago and sandpapered the edge to a high sheen; now I just need to make some sort of fixture to hold the canopy for the Big Cut (and wait for the 30 spring clamps to arrive from Harbor Freight).

So far, so good. I used a Dremel SawMax with the plastic/wood blade, and it made the curved cuts without issue.

Another thing you can do is go to Costco and buy one of those big boxes of 12 inch saran wrap. They call it Stretch-tite. It works great for stretching another layer of protective film over the canopy and is easy to apply. Just put the box at one end of the canopy and pull the loose end over to the other side. It clings really well. When you are done move the box into the kitchen, and you'll have a lifetime of industrial strength saran wrap that will make you want to throw rocks at the other stuff. If you are married, your wife will treat you like a hero for a week or so. :D

Back