What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Builders @ OSH

HFS

Well Known Member
This may not be the right place to post this, but I don't know how to start a new "thread". My question: Any -3 builders going to OSH that would like to get together and discuss our particular situations with others? I know I would like to put faces with previous posts make on this forum - it's always helpful to talk about your project with others of a like mind.

We did this a few years back for Rockets/F1's and I am glad I attended.

If there is enough interest we can figure out a place and time that works for most of us. A friend will be there with his red -3 (seen on Van's website) 87CT and maybe we could meet at his airplane midweek/mid morning and use it (and him) as a basis for discussion. He also built (and some of you may remember) the wildly painted IO540 powered "Super" 6 back in 2009 - a very good and experienced builder (and very willing to share trade secrets).

Just a thought - if there is enough interest we'll try and get together.

Thx

David Howe

{Started this as a new thread so it wouldn't get lost Dave a GREAT idea, something we did a couple of years ago, and got good response.}

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea Dave - how about proposing a time, and a place to meet? Van's tent worked for us as a meeting place the past couple of times (actually, behind the tent, so we didn't all blend into the crowds of people drooling over the -14).

BTW, as of now, Tsam is expected to be on display in a booth over near Aeroshell Square, and RV-3 builders are welcome to examine anything they need to see. Louise and I will not be sitting there all the time, but you might catch one us now and again.

I'm interested..

..my priority is to build the 10 first, but when things get a little slow, I'm always researching/learning about the 3. Occasionally, I spend an hour or so, looking over my partial 3 project, which needs my attention. :(

-3 Rendezvous

Great initiative David. I will be there Tuesday and Wednesday. Yes it is valuable ( inspiring and humbling) to meet RV people.

Keep us posted with Day, Location, and Time to meet. My next project is leaning toward a -8 or -3. IF I came across a great price on one, that would be it. IF the -8 comes first, the next will be a -3.

RV3 Builders @ OSH

How about Wednesday @ 10A (before it gets too hot to be fun) at 87CT the bright red -3 that will be in the RV lot somewhere. If you have "walked the line" on Monday or Tuesday I'm sure you will find it. When you see the airplane it will be familiar to you as it was (is?) the -3 pictured on Van's website. It was a complete slow build - so Chuck the owner/builder knows (and is willing to share) all the secrets of the slow build process.

I am certainly open to other suggestions, but I think having a knowledgeable builder and his plane to scrutinize will be beneficial to all.

Chuck plans to arrive on Sunday morning so I am guessing that he will get parked in the big, main lot.

Looking forward to meeting you all in person, after having exchanged e-mails, letters, and in some cases old plans sets with some of you.

David

RV3 Builders @ OSH - Schedule

I talked to Chuck, the owner/builder of the "host" airplane, 87CT, and he & I will be there on Wednesday at 10 AM for a "Meet & Greet" for any interested builders.

Once his location is established I will try to get that info to this thread - don't know how much luck I'll have as I only have access to our host homeowner's laptop, and I am not very computer literate.

Wednesday @ 10 AM and looking forward to it. I'm sure Chuck (Brietigam) will be around his plane at other times - so catch him then too!

David Howe

RV3 meeting place...

you are welcome to use the tent set up with tables underneath in HBC. just give me a heads up so no conflicts Jerry Fischer @ 678-770-0131

I talked to Chuck, the owner/builder of the "host" airplane, 87CT, and he & I will be there on Wednesday at 10 AM for a "Meet & Greet" for any interested builders.

Once his location is established I will try to get that info to this thread - don't know how much luck I'll have as I only have access to our host homeowner's laptop, and I am not very computer literate.

Wednesday @ 10 AM and looking forward to it. I'm sure Chuck (Brietigam) will be around his plane at other times - so catch him then too!

David Howe

If you have problems posting the Row Number, get the info to me (PM, email, or phone call) and I will post it.

RV3 Builders @ OSH - Confirm Schedule

87CT is at the North end of Row 316 - Hope to see some faces to go with the names from VAF.

David Howe

Back