What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WW-151 Spinner Bulkhead shift

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
With about 470 hours on our RV-3, we've probably got one of the higher time Whirlwind 151 props out there. this three-blade prop comes with a pre-fit spinner and has been simply outstanding on the airplane. We've had no issues with the prop at all, and just now noticed a little spinner problem I want to share.

Several people noticed a slight wobble in the spinner when we have taxied in - it is not felt or seen in the cockpit. What I noticed the other day was that the spinner seemed to be rubbing on the cowling (we have a pretty small gap) down about the 4:30 position (viewed from the font). My first thought was that it was time to get out the engine mount shims - and then I put my hand on the spinner, and it shifted!

Long story short - the rear spinner bulkhead is composite, and the bolts had, over time, squeezed the material enough that they were no longer tight. This elongated a hole or two just a little bit. I removed all of the safety wire and took about a half turn on each bolt to get them tight again, then re-safetied. If it moves again, we'll pull the bulkhead and reglass the holes.

Something to check if you are running a composite rear spinner bulkhead!

Paul

Back