What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Tip Fairing Fit

Well Known Member
OK, so I have searched all around VAF and the rest of the internet and haven't found anyone specifically mentioning this issue. I trimmed the trailing edge of the elevator tip as instructed and when I fit the tip into the elevator, there is a gap of up to a little more than 0.20" on both sides of the fiberglass between it and the elevator skin. Is this normal? If so, how does one match drill the fiberglass tip properly? Just start at one end and work through while clecoing as you go?

wpid-wp-1448749588953-1024x576.jpg

What about using a temporary foam rib inside the tip to hold the proper shape? This method is mentioned in the manual in the wing section. Or is there a bigger problem?

Last edited:
I would cleco it with 3/32" clecos first and then finish up with 1/8". This way if the fairing moves a little to get into final position the larger hole will be centered in the correct postion

Normal, start in the middle on both sides, drill and Cleco as you go. Should all pull up fine.

Thanks! It just didn't seem right to me, and I was puzzled by why there seemed to be no other references to it out there. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get the holes to line up if I match drilled them while it wasn't fitting right. I may try using something inside to press the fairing outward during drilling just for my peace of mind.

Thanks for the replies!

I used a hair dryer to heat it up and spread it out. Once cooled it holds its shape and fit a lot closer

People who win 'prettiest airplane' awards use micro and or fiberglass to blend the elevator into the tip. The rest of us follow the plans and build on.

Back