What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Pennsylvania

Malibooz Bar & Grill at Reading (RDG)

The resturant right in the terminal has reopened under a new name, management and theme. They are open for lunch and dinner. Great food & service, large screen TVs all over, very clean as everything is new. Very interesting menu.

Franklin-Venango Regional (KFKL)

FKL has an excellent, attractive, aviation-themed restaurant in the terminal/FBO building with lots of glass overlooking the ramp. The food was excellent, service excellent, prices reasonable at lunch. The FBO gave a 10 cent/gallon discount for eating in the restaurant, net price 3.75/gallon full serve. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Kutztown Airport (N31)

Kuztown Airport has a diner that draws a fair number of weekend breakfast seekers. On any given weekend you will see Luscombes, RVs, Cubs, Wacos, et cetera, flying in specifically for the diner, which is located just off the west end of Runway 17. The food is decent and the portions large. You can taxi up and park your bird right next to the diner. Kuztown has both a grass (10-28 is 2260 Ft long) and a mecadam (17-35 is 2435 feet long) runway. Beware of the dirt pile off the end of 35. Also the large dip in the runway at the same end. Its a doozie.

Plan a flight out heading WNW to Grimes Airport (8N1) after breakfast and visit the Golden Age Air Museum. Its roughly two miles East of Bethel PA. It has a beautiful, wide and flat, 2720 foot long grass strip. This quiet little strip will take you back to the early days of flight and remind you why you spent your kids college money on this hobby.

Anyone in the Eastern PA, Western NJ area looking for a build workshop space with and included paint booth? I've found a location for rent in Hellertown PA (Exit 67 off Rt. 78) that has three separate work areas and a paint booth.

Each work area could easily host two (big) projects, so if I could get six builders in the area we could have an ideal (heated) work location real cheap. Plus there would be the camadarie of other builders. I'll post some pictures shortly but I'm getting some more specifics from the realtor today.

The OZ Fly in Bed and Breakfast 06PA

There is very unique fly in Bed and Breakfast in Shinglehouse PA http://www.ozhomestay-huntinglodge.com/welcome.html
It's just East of Olean NY. Grass runway and no instrument approach. One of the owners, Ash, is a skydive instructor so you can make a tandem jump if you like or you can fish ,hunt,swim, camp, go antiquing or just hang out. It's right on the New York PA border.

7N8 Butter Valley Golf Port

Little gem hidden in PA hills. The runway has grass extension in excellent shape even for RV-xA models without anti splat job. Bring your golf clubs or just come to the restaurant. There is a lake by runway 34 watch out for birds there make your final a bit angled.

http://www.buttervalley.com/

buttervalley1.jpg

Buttervalley2.jpg

Turbo put this spot into your database :D

The Runway

I found a good one last week, and it was just down the road: The Runway Restaurant, Butler County Airport, KBTP. Located north side of runway, east end of ramp. Large ramp area for parking. Opens at 11:00 for lunch, closed Mondays. The restaurant is perched up on the second floor of the new terminal building with walls of glass, providing a great view of arrivals and departures. And, it can be busy. is I flew down from Clarion with the boys last week, and during our lunch a least a dozen airplanes flew in to join us, so the place was filled with pilots. And, lots of other flying activity at airport to occupy us during lunch.

Last edited:
Nice restaurant

Hi Andy. We often flyin there for lunch or dinner. Post up on are website next time you plan on going. We have 870 members on Ohiovalleyrvators site. There are about 25 RVs within a half hour of BTP.

I found a good one last week, and it was just down the road: The Runway Restaurant, Butler County Airport, KBTP. Located north side of runway, east end of ramp. Large ramp area for parking. Opens at 11:00 for lunch, closed Mondays. The restaurant is perched up on the second floor of the new terminal building with walls of glass, providing a great view of arrivals and departures. And, it can be busy. is I flew down from Clarion with the boys last week, and during our lunch a least a dozen airplanes flew in to join us, so the place was filled with pilots. And, lots of other flying activity at airport to occupy us during lunch.

Andy thanks for the lead. Great place indeed. They have buffet brunch every Sunday and there are PIEROGI in the menu!!

Plenty of ramp if clear of snow :)

butler2.jpg

butler1.jpg

Guess what airplane you will see?

butler3.jpg

And one more...

butler4.jpg

It was really nice random RV meet. Will be back.

Did I mention the airport has JFK-style pulsating approach lights? :D

Chester County KMQC

Somebody on a professional aviation forum suggested this http://www.flyingmachinecafe.com and I checked it out today.

Good size airport with some real jets.

chester1.jpg

Security is sharp but you know The Code.

chester4.jpg

Restaurant has great food priced accordingly. Well worth it.

chester2.jpg

chester3.jpg

Turkey sandwich is about to come...

frenchonionsoup.jpg

He conveniently didn't tell me he was going there because it is his turn to buy lunch!!:mad::mad:

He conveniently didn't tell me he was going there because it is his turn to buy lunch!!:mad::mad:

You ARE busy setting up the shop I don't want to interrupt you :D and since when my turn? I bought last time :D

PS; I want more attention from the public Tweety always gets all :D

TonyatOceanCity.jpg

Last edited:
Just added KMQS to my short list for when the plane gets out of paint thanks for the post.

BTW: Vlad, you're plane will get more attention once it has some color :)

Butter Valley Fall Oct 20

Great weather in PA today, leaves are changing colors, and it was a nice cool morning. I headed to Butter Valley for a something to eat and then more flying in the area. Butter Valley has a nice little runway surrounded by the golf course. The golf port is located just 10 miles north of Pottstown PA and the restaurant has good breakfast for a very reasonable price.

http://youtu.be/ARNuA4ook4w
The link is for a video with a slow flyby. It had rained the night before and I wanted to verify there wasn't any water standing in the grass parking area. Everything looked dry so went around for a landing and a quick breakfast.

buttervalley_01.jpg

buttervalley_02.jpg

buttervalley_03.jpg

buttervalley_04.jpg

Slatington PA

A newly converted RVator showed me this place once and told me if I ever go there take him too. Or at least call his friend in town. But he is always working and I went there myself at least three times.

How to get there? From Blue Mountain Resort you stay behind the ridge on easterly heading and don't touch KABE Charlie. In two minutes you will see a gap to your left. Enter that gap and there is a nice North-South field along the river. Beware of cross winds.

Land there and park on the grass.

Walk to the town it's a short walk by slate quarries.

There is a nice cafe and a pizza place. Either one is fine.

Food is good and priced 1/3 of NYC. You will love it. Then walk back.

If you cut corners through the woods don't be scared it's not a crash site. It's an old airplanes cemetery.

Very nice spot highly recommended.

Back