What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Louisiana

Jennings, LA (3R7) Gulf Air Mgmt Co and FBO

This airport is a great place to stop for overnite, food, low hassle factor, etc., and the family run FBO is top notch. Allow me to elaborate.

First of all, if you need to overnite, you can literally park, tie down, your airplane, in the NE corner of the field, 100' from several different name brand hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. At least 2 auto parts stores are also less than 1/4 mile away.

This is an uncontrolled public field, located along I-10 in South Central LA. Along with 2 paved runways, lighted, even has a N-S grass runway.

The fuel is self serve, 100LL, fuel facility in SE corner of field, was $3.90/gal on 10/12/2007.

But, what really did it for me was the help I received from the FBO and Airplane Mgmt Co, Gulf Air, and on a Saturday, when they are normally closed. I called the owner's number on door, his son arrived soon thereafter, and he proceeded to give me the run of their hangar to find some needed maintenance items for my AOG. The owner, Mr. Vidrine, arrived later and actually helped me work on my airplane for 2-3 hours. Even the daughter in law was helping me at one point. I had never met any of these people prior to this day.

While doing airplane work, I got to watch the son take 2 or 3 people up in their SNJ-5 and make me think I was at OSH or LAL for the airshow. Turns out the son is a serious aerobatic competitor, also has a Sukhoi in the hangar.

If you fly for a living or just travel a lot, spend a lot of nights in hotels, etc., you really come to appreciate people like the Vidrines at Gulf Air, Jennings, LA, 3R7. Ditto for the proximity of lodging and food where no van ride is required.

Lastly, when I went to thank the Vidrines again for their hospitality, there they were, father, son, daughter in law, granddaughter (about 2 yrs old in LSU cheerleader outfit) watching the LSU football game on TV.....a setting/picture worth a thousand words.

GAry Bricker

Mulates in Henderson. Land in Layfayette and drive about 5 mi. Great Cajun food and Dancing. Local 's pace.

KHUM & Hammonds Air Service

You've got to go into Houma, La. (KHUM) and taxi up to Hammonds Air Service. Charlie Hammonds is something of an unknown aviation ledgend, and he'll be the one you'll talk to! His FBO literally has an aviation museum in it - over 600 photos of you-name-it. All kinds of original stuff, back to Lindbergh.

Remember when James Bond flew the BD-5 out of gas and taxied up to the gas station? Charlie Hammonds flew that plane. His son, Rick, was one of the "Mig" drivers (actually F-5's painted black) in Top Gun.

Houma - the city is pretty rural-industrial-fishing... but the FBO staff will loan you a vehicle and point you to some of the best Cajun food you've ever eaten!

Great place, great food, great service!!

Baton Rouge

We flew into Baton Rouge Municipal and with fuel the tiedown was free. Enterprise car rental in the Louisianna Aircraft FBO (all expensive but that's the way it goes these days). Motels are reasonable. There are a number of plantations and Civil War era homes open for tours in the surrounding area - quite a bit of driving required. Rosedown in St. Francisville is especially well done. Nottoway by White Castle is also worth the trip. Both of these homes have very good tour guides. If you take Louisianna highway 10 as the initial outbound highway from St. Francisville to Lafayette you will take a ferry across the Mississippi River - there is no bridge. The ferry holds several vehicles including trucks up to 51ft (no more than one I'm sure) and you must remain in your vehicle. This may seem like a trivial thing but ferry boats across the Mississippi are not that numerous anymore and this one is both reliable and cheap ($1 per vehicle). The Cajon Historical facility in Lafayette is run by the National Park Service and it has a very good and informative movie about the Cajon experience when the French related people were driven out of their homes in Acadie by the English. Cajon food is plentiful in the area and I'm sure their unique music is as well (if you went to the AOPA convention in New Orleans several years ago and sat out on the patio by the river for the Friday night party you know what I mean) but we were limited in our stay by winter "get home weather" and did not get to sample the music at all.

Bob Axsom

New Orleans Lakefront - Flightline First

We recently took a photo trip to New Orleans for the day and flew into KNEW and parked at Flightline First. It was a very nice recently remodeled place with very friendly employees. We have photos and more story here...

Vidalia, LA - Concordia Parish Airport Breakfast

Concordia Parish Airport has moved their breakfast to the 3rd Saturday of the month... had 12 RV's there for breakfast earlier in the year - photos here...

Houma, KHUM

Well,.. here is an update from the post in early 2008.

Went by Houma for a "short" visit today. Friendly folks at Butler aviation (do want to give them a plug) provided a PT cruiser and pointed us to "Nifty Fifties" cafe just down the road. (about a mile). Has the juke box, black and white tile, and the pink and black booths, etc. Food was appropriate for the atmosphere. Burgers, shakes (great "fountain" milkshake), :D club sandwich, and salads. Real slabs of meat on club sandwiches, good fries and large hamburger.:)

While we were heading to eat, we called Charlie Hammonds of Hammonds flying service. We arranged to meet him at his museum, after we finished eating. (note.... you need to call and arrange to tour ahead of time,.. would not hurt to call a day or so ahead of time) Charlie you might say has flying in his blood,... only been flying for about 60 years, (named Charles Lindy Hammonds after Lindberg) ..and now in retirement he only flies 3 or 4 times/hours a day, so you need to nail him down or you won't get in and get the tour. 985-872-1423

Charlie got his commercial rating at 18 and soon thereafter was running a floatplane operation, doing instruction, etc. All the while during his career he collected "stuff' related to aviation, from Lindberg, to movies (his son was on staff at Top Gun school when Top Gun was filmed, and he flew the aggressor jets for the film) to Doolittle raiders, to friends with several different Thunderbird and Blue Angels groups. (at least one tried to get float qualified). He currently is in a "small museum" now that the PHI helicopter outfit bought out his old facility.

So,... he has some stories..

If you don't make it to Petit Jean, for the camping,.. you might want to head to Houma. The antique car club is going in with Charlie for Fall Fun Day, on 3 Nov 2012, from 10 to 3. Speakers include Charlie, his son Ricky,... and C.J. Christ who will be talking about the German subs in the Gulf during WW II.

some good stuff...
6yfhpf.jpg

cost of admission is "high",... might have to stand on bucket to sign your name
3448isg.jpg

inside nifty fifties
2zzsupu.jpg

Last edited:
DI's Cajun Resturant

I used to work for The Vidrines at Gulf Air based at 3R7. They are good as gold and Amazing pilots! Jennings is a very nice and one of the nicest uncontrolled airports in the stste.. I would highly reccomend spending the night there if needed..

Also now DI's Cajun resturaunt Has a very nice airstrip about 4,000ft long.

Coor. N30?22.39' W92?34.82'

Head 9nm at 211DEG. From 3R7 and you will be right over it..
http://discajunrestaurant.biz/index.htm

KHUM, Houma, LA is a nice place to visit

Ernie, one of my rivet buckers, wanted to fly to Houma, LA last Sat. to meet C. J. Christ the foremost expert on the German U-Boat war in the Gulf of Mexico and director of the Regional Military Museum in Houma. It sounded interesting and I really owe Ernie so we made the trip. Mr. Christ flew B-29's in Korea, seaplanes for the Oil Companies, etc, etc. He picked us up at the airport and gave us a private tour of the Museum which is normally closed on Sat. He took us to a great local diner. We had cajun coffee with an old-time airplane builder (Joe Champagne, EAA Biplane) and much more.

We parked and fueled up at Butler Aviation which is another real gem. Bob Butler and the staff were super nice to us. As we were headed out, Bob, a Lanceair owner, said Homebuilts can stay in his hanger for free. They have two courtesee cars and a really nice pilot lounge.

This was South Louisiana Cajun culture and hospitality as I remember it from fishing trips back in the 60's. If you go to Houma watch for the helicopters that service the oil rigs. The PHI choppers are black and yellow which is fitting because there are so many the place looks like a bee hive. The field has a control tower though, and I had no problems landing and departing.

New Orleans is just one hour from Houma by car, so, you can visit Cajun Land and the very different New Orleans Creole culture in the same day.

John

Weddell Williams Aviation Museum

Here's a nice stop if you're visiting S. LA. Land at Patterson (KPTN), park at Perry Flying Service, borrow very nice courtesy car from Ken Perry, and visit the Weddell-Williams Aviation and Cypress Logging Museum. They have about 10 golden age planes including several excellent reproductions of Weddell-Williams world beaters from the 30's by Jim Clevenger. (Miss Patterson 44 and 45, Rosco Tanner's Gilmore Girl and more.)

The Cypress Logging museum wing is also worth a look. Imagine sawing giant trees with two man buck saws while standing in pirogues.

John

ev6t83.jpg

Left base Rwy 6 PTN. (Note seaplane Rwy to the right.)

nv3wc4.jpg

Weddell-Williams Aviaton Museum

New Orleans Lakefront Airport (KNEW)

Lakefront Airport is reported to have been the finest in the South when Huey Long built it. The name was Shushan Airport back then. It was built on made land on the water side of the Lake Pontchartrain levee to keep it out of the hands of the New Orleans power structure.

The beautiful Art Deco terminal was encapsulated by a "modern" renovation around 1960. One of the good things that resulted from Katrina was that the building was restored to its original construction. Seems all the murals, hardware, paneling and facade were still there under the sheetrock
and concrete.

I've been waiting and waiting for the restaurant in the terminal to reopen and it finally has. I took a friend there for lunch a couple of months ago, and was pleased with the food and service. It's called the Runway Cafe.

http://messinasterminal.com/venues/runway-cafe/

We had to call the number posted on the terminal door to get into the building from the ramp. If you fly there you'll have to go through New Orleans class B airspace. No big deal but you'll be vectored over about 30 miles of water unless you approach from the south (Lakes Ponchartrain and Maurepas). I always bring a couple of life jackets and my Rescue-Link just in case.

John

Last edited:
I haven't looked at a map of lakefront in a while so is there not a vfr corridor or way to avoid the class b?

Bird

Good point Bird

You're right Bird. There's a mode C requirement within 30 nm of MSY, but you can go in to NEW under the Class B. Thanks for the catch. The warning on the chart about losing horizontal reference over the water at low altitude in certain conditions is good to keep in mind, but the visibility has always been pretty good for me on mid-day hamburger runs to Lakefront. Large birds like bald eagles nest in the swamps also so you have to watch for them down low. Flying over those lakes and cypress swamps with New Orleans and the Big Muddy to the south on a clear day is half the fun.

John

Last edited:
Lakefront

Have done this many times. When approaching from the west N.O. Approach will usually approve flying down the shoreline at 800' or lower to Lakefront even if airline traffic is landing on 19 at KMSY. Same if departing to the west. If they are not in the mood request the corridor.

Don Broussard

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress

KNEW

We were able to make a 3 day trip to New Orleans. Flying up from Naples and using Tallahasee for a quck pit stop. MillionAir in TLH has self fueling and no ramp or security fees when using it! Landed in KNEW using Landmark where my Hertz car was awaiting us!

After most of the weather moved out we departed Naples. This is what it was like up the Florida west coast - looks like a WWII mission :D

From KTLH to KNEW it was clear and a million!

Landing on RWY 36L:

After we put the plane to bed it was dinner time at "Huck Finns"

Of course, you can't go to NO without Beignets :cool:

Trails End Golf Course at 5F0, Arcadia-Bienville Apt

I was in Ruston, LA visiting my wife's family for Christmas and knew from experience that I would have a free morning on the day after the holiday. So, I took my clubs with me and looked for a course to play. Trails End Golf Course was open in near by Arcadia, LA. (This is the small town where Bonnie and Clyde were ambushed.)

I made the drive and, to my surprise, found a runway between the front and back 9 and with a ramp just a short walk from the club house. (Arcadia-Bienville 5F0) I went in to pay my green fee and get a cart. I was again surprised to discover that the total charge for 18 holes with golf cart was only $20 (winter rate).

Most courses in Louisiana are flat as a billiard table, but Bienville Parish is the highest in the state and Trail's End has lots of slope (128 slope rating). There's not much sand, but quite a few holes with water. This is a truly rural location; very pretty and with no houses along the fairways. I really enjoyed my round and will be flying back to 5F0 with my clubs and a friend to play again.

John

1ptsu1.jpg

Last edited:
Back