What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Kansas

Liberal: Mid-America Air Museum

(Jon Baker) The museum is right on the field. This must be the only air museum in the world almost completely dedicated to GENERAL aviation. Hangar after hangar of historic small airplanes, including experimentals. It's huge -- they claim to be the 5th largest air museum. Worth a look.
Identifier: LBL

Air Museum

I agree with Doug. This is the best kept secret in Kansas. I flew there
last April and had a blast. Lot of planes on the ramp and plenty in the hangar. Had a Beech Starship in the hangar. Very few of those around. The visibility was around 60 miles when I flew from Altus, OK and it was a speck on the windshield. Wish I had some of the oil out there.
Enjoy it.
They do supply you with a courtesy car if you want to go to the local establishment for BBQ.

Bruce Pauley
VAF #582
Rowlett TX
Formerly from Hope, Kansas

Beaumont

Anybody flying through Kansas really needs to stop in Beaumont. They have a hotel and restaurant there that you taxi your plane to. The Taxi part is way cool as you stop at a stop sign and cross the highway to park across the street from the hotel. Here is a shot of me taxiing past the famous watertower, just up from the stop sign. This was way back in 1994 when I had my Cherokee. I here they have refurbished the hotel into some very nice suites and the grass runway was repaired. It was like an old cow path in '94.

Roberta

beaumontng7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beaumont, KS (sn07)

A couple recent (Jan 07) pictures of Beaumont, KS (sn07). Yeah I know, it's not an RV, but the C-140 will have to do until the -10 is done. -Jim BTW, the runway was fine -- frozen -- but fine.

Miami County (Paola-K81)

Great breakfast or lunch stop. We-B-Smokin restaurant on the field serves all your breakfast favorites at a reasonable price; BBQ a lunchtime specialty. Closes during the American Royal BBQ contest...

Self-serve gas (usually some of the cheapest in the area).

Combat Air Museum - Topeka, Kansas ( FOB )

This is another Great place to spend the day .........the museum is on the field .....tower will direct you over to the museum for parking.......Nice little BB-Q place inside the FBO........ you can stuff your self for 5 bucks

New Airport Restaurant ( 1K1 ) Stearman Feild

Now Open everyday 7am-10pm....... Restaurant, Bar\Grill at Stearman Field ( 1K1 ) formerly the Benton Airport........ Very nice

1K1 Lloyd Stearman

1K1 is a great place for breakfast/lunch/dinner! If you find a great clear, low wind evening, make your way there before sunset, set outside, order and if you are lucky (like I was on my first time there) you will be treated to at least 3 Stearman flying around (with smoke on at times) making passes and over flying the place. Nothing better than hearing those great radial engines!! If I hadn't just ordered, I would have jumped in the RV4 and joined them! Next time! Thanks guys!!!! Everyone loved it!

Back