What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bringing our dog to the Bahamas?

cattflight

Well Known Member
Hey folks,
Long time member, but still building my Glastar...hoping my RV buddies can help me out here!

I am finally fulfilling my dream of flying myself, my wife and our Shih-Tzu to Eleuthera in early May. We've got a great house rental near Gregory Town and we'll be taking our club's Diamond Star there and back - flying into N. Eleuthera (MYEH) as our AOE. Our route of flight will give us an overnight in Memphis and then an overnight in West Palm, from where we'll launch to the Bahamas.

I've got all the forms and license in process (CBP sticker, RR license, eAPIS account, etc.), and we'll be getting the permit for our dog from the Bahamas Dept. of Ag within the next week, as well as all US health certs. But here's my question.....

Have any of you taken your dog to the Bahamas (in particular bypassing any of the larger ports like Nassau or Freeport) and what was your experience? There seems to be some conflicting information about whether a local veterinary checkout is required after arrival in the Bahamas and/or just prior to returning to the States. I cannot imagine that is even practical for a week-long visit. I am hoping they are quite accepting of the US-issued health certificate and the Bahamas Dept of Ag permit.

Any first-hand advice is welcomed. Thanks!

I have made 4 trips to the Bahamas and took my dog at the time (Black Lab). I got the permit from the Bahamas. A record of shots from my vet. The first time, we stopped in Nassau and went to a vet. And on to Eleuthera. No problems coming or going. The next three trips into Marsh Harbor. We got the permit and never went to a vet. No problems coming or going either. I would tell you, have the permit, have a record of shots, and don't worry about seeing a local vet.

How about bring a dog FROM the Bahamas. There are plenty of Potcakes out there that need adopting.

Paul, we flew to Eleuthera in Nov. and stayed in a house on the beach. I would recommend using MYEM as an AOE. Much closer than MYEH. You will not have fuel but that will give you an excuse to fly up to MYEH for a day trip and have lunch at Harbour Island. Any questions give me a yell.

Back