What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Maine

Acadia National Park!

I spent 7 1/2 hours flying the coast last weekend with a friend who is a professional photographer. I haven't got his pics yet, but in the interim here are a couple of mine from Acadia National Park. Acadia is a 10 minute ride by car if you fly into the Bar Harbor Airport. The park is also easy to tour from the air.

Last edited:
Lobster?

Looking for a place in Maine to fly in for a lobster dinner. Any suggestions? If not on field , at least with a courtesy car.

Thanks,

George

George. I vacation mid coast Maine every year and own property on Cape Jellison. I don't think you are going to find any airports close enough to walk to a town or restaurant and courtesy cars are pretty much gone due to the high liability, ect. I can suggest flying into either Knox County Regional which is on the coast near Owls Head, an old fashioned fishing community, and renting a car, or else Ellsworth (Bar Harbor) and renting a car. Ellsworth is just outside of Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. That is a must see, plenty of Lobster Pounds to choose from. Now is a good time to go. The crowds are gone and the colors shoud be starting.

small suggestion

We were just there for other reasons. Portland downtown, Commercial Ave. is full of lobster restaurants from the cheapest to pricey. KPWM is the identifier. We flew commercial so cannot comment on flying there with the RV. Doesn't look too bad on Airnav, though. Public transpo to downtown should be good and it's a short distance. The harbor area is small enough to explore on foot. You should enjoy it. Be sure the lobsters are in season.
check: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPWM

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Portland_International_Jetport#4.

"METRO Bus and taxi service can be accessed from the ground transportation booth outside the baggage claim. A shuttle bus service called The Portland Explorer provides access to area hotels, and to other local transportation, such as the Amtrak Downeaster train service, and The CAT high speed ferry."

Lobster in Maine

George:

The Biddeford (B19), Sanford (SFM) and Portland (PWM) airports will all put you near lobster, but none have courtesy cars. You would be able to rent cars at all of them though, and it probably wouldn't run you more than $40. A couple weeks ago I flew to Laconia, NH to attend the NASCAR race out there, and the rental car only cost about that.

As far are great lobsters go, I highly recommend Bayley's Lobster Pound in Pine Point. It's right on the water and beside a great beach to walk on. Full disclosure, they are family, but they are also the best around. The best airport for Bayley's is Biddeford (3000' of pavement).

Depending on the day you come in, I may be able to give you a ride; though I will be pretty busy this week and this coming weekend.

Antony

Maine Lobstah

Antony,

If you want to shoot me your phone number, send it via PM or direct e-mail at [email protected].

My plan is to hit NH (Hampton or MHT) sometime after noon on Friday 10/9 and stick around until probably Sunday. I think Sat. will be lobstah day.

Thanks,

George

KBXM Fly-In (Former NASB)

There will be a first International Fly-In at the newly public KBXM.
This will be held on June 4th 2011 8:00AM to 8:00PM.
there will be
Pilot Town Meetings
WINGS Seminars
Speakers include Craig Fuller - AOPA President and Alan Klapmeier - Kestrel Aircraft CEO.
There will be a Pancake Breakfast in the morning and a Lobster Bake and BBQ in the afternoon.
There will also be Live Music.

For more Info go to www.mrra.us for details.

Hope to see you all there to represent VAF.

8B0 Steven Bean - Rangeley Lake

A must for all RVators. I visited several times. A fellow RVator has a bungalow there. The area is very remote and pristine you don't want to leave. I was there past weekend. Working on trip write up.

moose.jpg

59B Newton Field

Located in picturesque area by a lake. Runway in excellent condition. Half mile walk to the town. Lots of eateries. Cell phone coverage spotty. No Verizon and no ATT some local provider.

3B1 Greenville

Come for their annual seaplane event. It takes place at Greenville Seaplane Base 52B and there are shuttles from the airport. Number of RVs unseen in the North.

Great performance by float planes and flying boats.

Top quality food but waiting time is above average. Take Captain John with you he can get a table faster.

Back