What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Hawaii

Hana Airport Maui

Bring your rain hat for the scenic 1.5 hour ocean/rainforest hike to the Hana Hotel. Beautiful rainforest setting with expensive food (so is the hotel). We shared a Poho'le (fern) salad and large fries and were satisfied, and for a fair price too.

Alternatively you could hitch a ride to town on the hotel shuttle bus, if anyone happens to be arriving/departing at the same time.

Aloha,
Greg (next month Kauai)

Last edited:
Hilo Airport Hawaii

I realize few will venture this far from the mainland in their RV, however, you could rent a plane and fly from Honolulu to these places.

Near the GA ramp side of the airport:
5-7 minute walk to Harringtons, a standard surf and turf. Right on (above) the water with a Lagoon View from your table near the open window. Bring your bathing suit and on a hot day you could frolick in the spring fed/tidal pool. (I'm not a fan of Kens Pancake House, the food is just O.K.)
10 minute walk to the Popular Banyon Drive Hotels. Many options here.

Hilo Town
Ask the newly expanded Air Service Hilo staff for a lift into town after you top off your tanks. Many options for food and shopping.

Big Island Candy Company

Greg,
Being a member of the CAP in Kauai, and having flown into Hilo, You missed the most important place of call - the "Big Island Candy Company". Whenever, I'm there, I always drop by to pick up so bon-bons for the CFO....(g)
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Coffee

When you goto Hilo,
the best coffee, my wife's opinion, is the Kona Coffee and Tea company. They are located about 10 mins south of the airport- on the main road. Also have a website. 100% kona coffee, and the best tea available on the island. !

Mama's House- on the big island. If you fly there, get Air Services to make the reservation, and make sure you bring the Credit card. VERY PRICEY, but worth every penny. Of course, don't forget the Mai Tai's at Air Services!
Yummy.

Maui is very nice- lots to explore- If you really want to have a fun approach, head over to Lanai City airport. Sits on a 1,000 ft cliff. Really cool!

Back