What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NAPA 1515 Gold oil filter

"owwwwwwwww, somebodies closer"

I bought a 1515 oil filter today to size up on my 8A. I have an airwolf remote mount that is on the lower starboard side of the firewall, the 1515 is about 1.5 inches too long, is there an equivalent napa filter to the 1515 that is 1.5 to 2 inches shorter that I can use. After I put it on by hand, turn it tight till I am satisfied, I will be moving on with my life, the end!

Randy
8A
y
Yes napa has a shorter one, I used a 1515 on my Ford 302 in my hot rod, it was too long and I had to cut it out after installing the engine with filter ON. NAPA had a shorter version.

Nipple adapter

Does any one have the Napa part # for the nipple adapter required to fit the Napa 1515 in place of the 48110 filter

Any aircraft mechanic should have a couple of nipples. You could pinch one to satisfy your needs.

Is it possible that the bypass function of the Napa is set to activate at a different pressure than the aviation brand? Do aircraft engines operate at a different oil pressure than the cars/trucks that the Napa 1515 is made for?

If the bypass function is in play much of the time for whatever reason, it is not filtering, and will be very nice and clean on final inspection.

Bevan

Last edited:
Champions only for me. I have over 4,000 hours in homebuilts (with 1,000+ of that IFR/IMC) and intend to fly many more hours/years. I will not worry about the oil filter or subject my passengers or myself to unnecessary/avoidable risks.

From all the research I've read I wouldn't use much of anything from Champion any more. Their quality control has gone down hill and designs have been surpassed. Even the fellow that runs the division that handles Slick and plugs was not happy with how little the big shots care about this area of their business.

WIX 51258 (or NAPA Gold 1258) filter exchange for CH48103 ??

Has anyone found an acceptable replacement for the 48103?

It had 13/16 - 16 female threads and is the short filter (~4 1/2" long).

I found a NAPA 1258 that has the correct dimentions but the Napa specs say NONE on the bypass valve.

Weasel,
I believe the NAPA Gold 1258 is equivalent to the WIX 51258 (and I suspect manufactured by WIX). Has anyone tried either of these alternatives ?

Looks like except for burst strength rating of 345 psi vs Champion at 400psi (whether or not this is material is discussed elsewhere) the WIX 51258 meets the available specs for the Champion CH48103 (which also does not have an integral bypass valve, see https://www.championaerospace.com/products/oil-filters where it is clarified that the integral bypass valve is only included in the 108 and 109 Champion filters).

I am planning to try the WIX 51258 on my 0-320 E2D (which has a spin on filter adapter installed - it is the Lycoming part I believe - and takes the 48103 Champion or its Tempest equivalent).

Anyone with previous real world experience -- please report!

Some data:
WIX 51258 Spec http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=13350

Champion "specs" http://www.championaerospace.com/assets/AV6-R-Aug2014.pdf (see pages 19-26). Other than a reference to meeting or exceeding SAE ARP 1400B, Champion doesn't provide much in terms of quantified specs. Anyone have a copy of the SAE standard ?

And some photos (first try, fingers crossed!):
2wmqe6u.jpg

64nrd1.jpg

2dufprc.jpg

25f15hc.jpg

Thanks,
Peter

NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix.

A local auto parts store has a few cut-away oil filters from different manufacturers to show their insides- What a difference!

I won't ever use a Fram filter. Wix/NAPA are much higher quality.

Looks identical to a 1515. Whats the difference?

Bob,
The WIX 51258 is 13/16?-16 female thread. The WIX51515 (n?e NAPA Gold 1515) is 3/4?-16 thread. The larger thread is needed to replace the CH48103 (without using an adapting nipple).

If I read the specs correctly also:
1. The 51515 has an integral bypass valve spec?d at 8-11 psi. The 51258 has NONE.
2. The 51258 is about 3/4? shorter than the 51515.

Peter

NAPA 1515 filter gasket Blew

My experience, I have used the NAPA filter since the engine was overhauled 45 hr ago. I installed 3 filters and blew out the filter gaskets fortunately all during ground ops. They were not cold starts, I preheat ( sump heater) any temp below 40F. I have an IO-320 using an Airwolf Lyc-10 filter adaptor for a remote filter installation. Talked to many Pros to help troubleshoot the problem. Airwolf said DO NOT run without Filter bypass valve. Not sure if the 1515 has one. The A/C Is grounded until I can find the cause of very high oil pressure. Removed the oil pressure valve, Lyc-10, checked torque on filter, all oil lines for inspection. Cut open filter, no signs of over pressure. In flight oil press high 80s, will turn this down 3 turns. Plan on installing a Casper Lab CL 1000 using a AA48108.

Back