What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New sliding canopy security lock

I-TERA

Patron
Hallo rocketeers :) !
driven by necessity, I had to find a solution to lock the canopy.
I didn't like the solution of putting a padlock on the rail so I installed a small security lock to prevent the wheel of the canopy from going past a position that allows you to put your hands inside but let in a little air when it's desired.
A small hole in the fuselage is what you see, closed by a waterproof cap.
Inside there is a glued flange and a guide tube for the key.
A cam rises and falls from a slot in the canopy rail.
If you want to give a look the link it is :
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/49ialxn7q69v90x/AAAvXSdry6mpZ5JdQGuvddEca?dl=0

That is genius! if you are going to make/sell them I'd love to pick one up. Very, very clean!

Locked up...

Hallo rocketeers :) !
Driven by necessity, I had to find a solution to lock the canopy.
Bellisimo Claudio, one of the slickest, most simple canopy locks seen to date.
Nicely done!
V/R
Smokey

PS: Unfortunately, the residents of the neighborhoods/Airports I frequent would simply cut or break the plexiglass! :)

PS: Unfortunately, the residents of the neighborhoods/Airports I frequent would simply cut or break the plexiglass! :)

Just curious....are insurance cos picky about theft claims wrt locks vs no locks? Seems like a Catch22 in the making.....Not flying yet, so havent asked this qu of my co....

Thank you all for your appreciation.
Phil, 6 hours including installation (I have a lathe at home)
Dan, if you want a lock (I have put the quoted drawing on the link) I can send you one, you owe me a beer. It's a commercial lock that allows you to extract the key in two positions at 180 degrees. The small flange of the picture is glued from the internal side of the fuselage, from the flange to the lock there is a guide tube. The gear you see on the drawing has been replaced by an eccentric and I made a connecting rod that is the bolt retained by a thin screwed washer. All very simple.
The insurance does not respond if there is no sign of forced entry.
My plane does not have a key but only a switch for starting and I am responsible for the damages that a third party can do if the aircraft is not guarded.
Claudio
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/49ialxn7q69v90x/AAAvXSdry6mpZ5JdQGuvddEca?dl=0

Thanks Claudio! I will definitely take you up on your offer. Since I live in one of the lands of decent beer (Portland, OR) let me know if you have a particular/favorite type of beer.

Again- very well thought out and engineered idea!

Very clever, but...

I made the decision to NOT lock my canopy. Why would someone open your canopy? Steal the airplane? Steal the avionics? I think the latter is more likely and I would be pissed if someone stole my avionics but I would be extremely pissed if they broke my canopy in order to steal my avionics. I have replaced one cracked canopy and it's not a walk in the park.

Ron, its a good thing you?re living in the safest part of the world. For the rest of us it all happened...
Personally I would be :mad: seeing my 2 Bose headsets vanish overnight and getting nought from the insurance.

Back