What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Return Line Location

Freemasm

Well Known Member
I?ve settled on a future fuel system Trying to prevent future headaches. Anyone who can share suggestions for fuel return line location at the root rib, it would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I?m assuming it would be a 90deg bulkhead fitting like the supply line. Let me know. Much thanks.

My suggestion is to pick your fuselage exit point 1st. (I put an a/n fitting at the exit point; eased fabbing the return line inside the fuselage.) Then try to be sure the tank return point isn't a straight shot from your exit. That'll make it easier to fab the connecting tube. I guess a good example would be the way the vent line works.

Charlie

Thanks

Thanks for replying. I don?t have a fuselage yet but want to finish the wings/tanks as much as possible prior to. The more specific, the better. I can?t have my time back form my previous re-do?s, so future avoidance of such would be welcome. Thanks again.

Scott---there will be alot of plumbing in close quarters for the left wing to duplex valve ports. CAREFUL planning will ease the frustration!!

Tom

I assume this is a Rocket so the fuel valve will be close to the centerline. That said, it's still tight. I would NOT recommend a bulkhead fitting on the side of the fuselage. It's one more fitting to leak, adds cost and weight, and will probably not simplify line installation. The fitting on the tank end can be a simple 180 bulkhead unit - no 90 needed. Locate it a few inches away from the pickup and just run the line straight to the fuel valve. I was able to add solid lines in a flying aircraft without much trouble. In fact, my entire fuel system can be removed/reinstalled without tweaking any lines. It can be done with some forethought.

Scott, I sent you a followup message; the images I sent were for an RV-7. I missed the 'model specific-Rocket' category of your message.

Charlie

F1/F4

Thanks gentlemen. Yes, a Rocket set-up but more likely the F4 variant with a stroked four banger.

Building this aircraft is proving to be like many things in life. Once I've finally done it, I'll be ready to build an aircraft.

Yes, there's no Rocket option on the "RV of Interest" selection of the profile set-up. I built and sold an 8 emp to gage whether my OCD could handle the process; jury still out on that one.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Back