What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Remote Components Help

snoopyflys

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I recently started working on installing my Garmin G3X Touch based panel from SteinAir (thanks guys) and have been struggling with where and how to best mount the remote components. I have a COM (GTR-20), XPNDR (GTX-23ES), ADS-B (GDL-39R), EIS (GEA-24), WAAS GPS (GPS-20A), ADAHRS (GSU-25), backup battery (IBBS-12V-6AH) and VPX Pro. My thoughts are to mount most, if not all, of these components either on the sub-panel or between the firewall and the sub-panel but just can't see the forest for the trees. So, does any one have some pictures and/or words of wisdom they would be willing to share to give me ideas and inspiration? Or point me to some threads here on the VAF as my search capabilities seem to be lacking.

Thanks,

Ideas

That 23 is hard to locate and be removable. I made a couple of rails. Details if desired. All is removable from the bottom, and almost everything is behind the sub panel to keep water off. All components mounted to the sub panel are reachable and removable with two hands. Not perfect, just some ideas for you.

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

Hello Dan,

One thing you might keep in mind as you pick a spot to mount your GDL 39R ADS-B receiver is that it supports a Bluetooth interface in addition to the RS-232 interface that is connected to your PFD.

You will probably want to mount the GDL 39R in the space between the instrument panel and the subpanel to make sure the Bluetooth signal can make it to the MFD (if installed) or any mobile device in the cockpit that might want to use it. I would even mount it lower in that area (as opposed to higher) to further improve the ability for this signal to reach the cockpit area.

I will say that we have been surprised how well the Bluetooth signal seems to bounce around and still be usable, but best to not push that envelope too far.

Thanks,
Steve

Where to locate G3X LRUs

Hi Dan,

In building my G3X panel a prime objective was ease of future servicing. Stein said most problems are in the boxes, not the wiring. I ran the harness below the panels and ribs. All boxes are between the panel and sub-panel except for the transponder and VPX-Pro. They are on rails below the sub-panel.

There are many panel build photos on my website. Click on the Builders Log link in my signature below.:)

I should add that the VP-X is mounted forward of the subpanel and exposed. You'll want to be able to plug in an Ethernet cable for programming.

Remote mount

I actually took the remote aspect of the name to a new level and mounted both the transponder and the gdl-39R under the baggage floor. See a few of the pics here. http://www.darinanderson.com/search?q=Transponder

The gtx tray is mounted to the bottom of the cover plate you see in the photos so I could slide the transponder out for maintenance.

Thanks...

Thanks for the replies. The sites and pics do give me some ideas as to how and where to mount the remote components.

One slightly dumb question, is there a limit to the number sub-panel pass-thru holes/grommets used for wires? In some of the pics I looked at there seem to be several. Is it better to route the wires under the sub-panel than thru or is it builders preference?

Here is an early photo of my panel, which I am still wiring. I am routing the wires at the bottom of the sub-panel through adel clamps.

I also have two large diameter (1+ inches) for wire pass-through to/from the firewall area. Some wires come from the aft section up the middle, under the center floor section (adjacent to the fuel line) while others, like antenna wires and ICS are routed up the sides of the fwd fuselage.

I will get another photo this weekend of the progress.

lHTqAxgl.jpg

EDIT: Here is a modified pic with hole and adel clamp locations. The hole edges are lined with grommet edging from ACS.

T4U9Sugl.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The sites and pics do give me some ideas as to how and where to mount the remote components.

One slightly dumb question, is there a limit to the number sub-panel pass-thru holes/grommets used for wires? In some of the pics I looked at there seem to be several. Is it better to route the wires under the sub-panel than thru or is it builders preference?

I routed most under for service, but some through for shorter routing. Connectors won't pass, so wiring in place is required for those, so no bench test. Conclusion: builders preference.

I do suggest you plan the position of each component, and major wire paths throughout. This will make you plan to the end and greatly shorten the installation time and result in a neat appearance. If digital solid models are not available, then make a mockup in plywood with open sides. I though as I went and it made it much more difficult and was necessary with preplanning.

Here is an updated pic of my panel wiring as of yesterday. I am happy with the layout of boxes and wire routing. Only the Dynon backup battery is on the front side of the sub-panel.

ZLsKS9Xh.jpg

Re-opening this thread since it seems already have a lot of relevant discussion. I'm also giving initial thought to where I'll mount various (for me, G3X) electronic gizmos. For the GTX 45R transducer/ADS-B and GTR 20 remote intercom/comm radio, I'm leaning towards mounting these guys totally remotely--behind the baggage bulkhead. They'd be mounted up against the sides, using something like Van's ELT/Strobe power supply mount kit, one box on each side to reduce potential interference with one another.

I considered the following reasons for mounting these away from the other electronics:

1. Closer proximity to their respective antennas, reducing coax signal loss
2. Keep panel/subpanel area more open/tidy
3. Shorter wire runs to the WAAS GPS (which I think also belongs aft), stick PTT buttons and armrest headset jacks

Possible pitfalls I can think of:
1. Increased aft CG
2. Longer wire runs to power/gnd and EFIS

Has anyone else done the proper amount of agonizing over these components' mounting locations, and come up with other pros and cons?

my take

I was thinking about wire runs the other day in looking at my fuse in build, and I think I am going to minimize the amount of "stuff" aft of the baggage bulkhead. I think the wire runs thru the tunnel could get fairly large with all that shielded wire and stuff.
So I am thinking, just GMU11, elev servo, com coax, elt and tail light/stobe will be all I put back there.
I am hopping the Elev servo and the GMU11 can share the same CANbus.

Please give consideration that a lot of those coaxes to the antennas have a minimum length and you may end up with a coil of coax anyways. As a matter of fact I think the GTX-45R also has a requirement of being a min 3 feet away from the antenna.

Slightly off topic

It is easy to install lru’s in a new build before the top skin goes on, but since I’m installing G3X/GTN as an upgrade, I found it helpful to build this wood mockup of the panel-to-firewall section of my 7A on which all of the remotes and any support brackets can be mounted for harness wiring on a tabletop. It also has skids and legs that allow it to be quickly positioned panel-down, panel-up, upright, or upside down on the tabletop. Very handy for my harness being built from scratch. The whole assembly can then be transferred to the aircraft for final connections with a minimum of in-aircraft, under-panel work. Shown here in panel-down mode prior to addition of remotes.- Otis
2v2E7wsUGxBELK5.jpg

Shown here all dressed up sitting in upright mode:
2v2E7w7YWxBELK5.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the wood mock up Otis!! I'll have to make one for my 7 tip-up, it would be the perfect project for someone to dimension and draw in Solidworks, that way it could be easily shared and cut locally with a CNC.

I very much like the font you've used on your panel, it makes the labels jump out to my eyes, especially the curved text under each switch very clear. What type font is it or are they hand drawn? Best labelling Ive seen to date.

Has anyone else done the proper amount of agonizing over these components' mounting locations, and come up with other pros and cons?

I agonized over this on my RV-7 and I decided to not mount very much back there. What I did put behind the baggage compartment is the Dynon dual ADAHRS, the pitch servo (of course), a Dynon hub and on each side wall the strobe power pack (right) and the ELT on the left. With that I have an aft CG limiting my baggage compartment to 85lbs at landing weight. The two wire bushings in the center tunnel area are really full.

My solution to remote devices was to build an avionics shelf between the sub-panel and the firewall. It is hinge on the firewall side so I can lower it for access if necessary. That took extra effort to plan the wire runs so there would be enough service loop to allow the shelf to swing but not too much to allow for chaffing.

Back