What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bleeding Matco brakes on my RV 7

dave4754

Well Known Member
I have read threads on this BUT:

I tried to bleed my Matco brakes and cannot get the fluid to come past the brake cylinders on the rudder pedals.

I purchased an automotive vaccum bleeder and hooked it up to register a 20lb. vaccum and then undid the small bleeder valve on the bottom of each caliper.

It seemed to draw at first but then stopped, on both sides.

I also tried the push method with an oil can and it too would not work.

Am i missing something? I have bled automotive many times but seem to missing something here?

Any ideas?

Dave

The pedals have to be fully retracted or the fill port in the master cylinder can become covered. That will not allow bleeding back to the reservoir.

If this is the case be sure to check that the pedals are totally free, and not binding in the pivot bolts.

Edit: I did install the long bolts for pivots on my 7, but tested with air and had no sticking. With 80 hours now, I have no issues with brake drag or sticking. BUT, still have return springs and other materials on hand JIC.

Last edited:
The pedals have to be fully retracted or the fill port in the master cylinder can become covered. That will not allow bleeding back to the reservoir.

If this is the case be sure to check that the pedals are totally free, and not binding in the pivot bolts.

Yes. Grab the top of the brake pedals and pull them back against the stops.

And while you are at it, add the return springs to the masters and replace the stock pedal pivot bolts with a single long bolt or rod drilled for cotter pins. There is lots of info for this mod on the forum.

Pressure bleeding from the caliper up to the reservoir worked best for me, use an old weed sprayer and make modified connections to the caliper bleeder screw, rig an over flow hose at the reservoir into a container, pump up the sprayer, crack the bleeder and there ya go, did mine in 5 min.

Pressure bleeding from the caliper up to the reservoir worked best for me, use an old weed sprayer and make modified connections to the caliper bleeder screw, rig an over flow hose at the reservoir into a container, pump up the sprayer, crack the bleeder and there ya go, did mine in 5 min.

Just did mine this way sunday and worked like a champ. system has zero fluid when I started.

Forgot one important note......empty out weed killer fluid first and clean out very good, then add brake fluid of choice. :D

And while you are at it, add the return springs to the masters and replace the stock pedal pivot bolts with a single long bolt or rod drilled for cotter pins. There is lots of info for this mod on the forum.

Yes, this is a good piece of advice.

Thanks again all

I will look for that mod, not sure what to search as the search engine and I do not get along.

The rod through the bottom of pedal sounds like a good mod.

I will purchase a sprayer and bleed from the bottom going up. I foolishly bought a purpose built bleeder for automotive and wanted to try to use it, however, that will not happen now!

Thanks again all..........by the way... .anyone want a Mitoyo bleeder? lol

For the Record

I offer this so that anyone in a similar situation might find this solution.

As above I have had terrible problems in getting the brakes to bleed with a pricey vaccum and finally tried and true herbicide applicator(new) adapted to push oil from the bottom up to reservoir.

Well I started loosening each joint on the way up to the reservoir only to find out that in the end I had put the two brake lines from the pedals in crossed. That right I put the left on the right and vice versa, needless to say it was never going to bleed that way.

Red in the face I offer this in case there remotely might be some one as daft as me building one of these things! I hope this helps.

Dave

Back