What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A to 6 conversion ?

n32rv

I'm New Here
????? thinking of converting a 6A to a 6???? looking for advise.

1. ? Anyone recently done this?
2.? Does Van's sell a conversion Kit with instructions?????
3.? Looks like it pretty straight forward on front of aircraft, replace motor
mount & legs, remove bulkhead for 6A ??.
4? Must you remove the vertical stab & horz to beef up the tail for tailweel?
5? Can you just peel back the side skin on both sides to replace the kit????
from the sides????
Or must you drill out the top plate also to install the kit? from the top (if there is a kit)????

Thanks for any advise.
:confused::confused:

Not sure about the 6, but it has been done on the 7A and 9A. There are some threads on here describing the process if you use the search function. Basically for the 7 & 9 it is a matter of changing out the gear, adding the tailwheel, and moving a few things around (like brake lines) but basically pretty simple. Cost, about $2500 but you can probably recoup some of that by selling the old parts.

Greg

Yep. Happy I made the the change on my 7.
Just make sure your mount & gear are jig drilled in the event you buy used.
Or if match drilled, is the actual matched set.

Do it!

I am in the process of making that conversion right now. Have finished the tailwheel installation, and yes, you will definitely need to remove the veritical and horizontal stabilizer! Bulkheads F611 and F612 will need to be replaced, as they are different on the 6A, and there is no way to get them out (or back in) with the stabilizers in place. It's a fairly simple process, though. Don't let the removal and replacement of the stabilizers stop you. If you call Van's and tell them what you want to do, they will send you all the parts you need. Not exactly a kit, but has the bulkheads, the tailwheel assembly,motor mount, new gear legs, etc. there was one necessary piece of stock material that didn't get included, and that's the 30" piece of 1-1/4" x .187 T6 barstock. You will need that to build the new F611 bulkhead. Good luck, I think it's worth the effort.

Conical Mount 0

I have a conical mount for a -6 and -6a along with a vans tail wheel and possibly the rear bulkhead. I was going to convert my 6a to a -6 but never got around to it. The mount is called a float mount with provisions for both gear types.

Back