What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery chunk of Aluminum

az_gila

Well Known Member
Guys,

With all of the metal work done I found a piece of 0.25 by 1.5 inch alum. bar 10 inches long.

Before I chop it up to use as a drag spar drilling jig, can anyone recognize this size bar as a pert of the RV-6 kit?

All of the other similar bar components I can think of are only 1/8 thick, not as heavy as 1/4.

Could it be for FWF use?

I might have been given this piece, but I just wanted a check before I cut it up....:)

Look at the rear spar carry through, outboard. I think it is used to fabricate a spacer that supports the rear spar carry through fork and mates with the wing rear spar.

Look at the rear spar carry through, outboard. I think it is used to fabricate a spacer that supports the rear spar carry through fork and mates with the wing rear spar.

Right size, but it only needs an inch... why would I have 10 inches left over?

Is that the material they supply to make temp spacers for the main spare carrythrough during assembly.

No, not enough stock for that.

I THINK I FOUND IT....:)

I just checked Vans "The List" and only found two items of this size... one was for an RV-4, the other had this description -

AB4-250X1 1/2X9 TOTAL AL BAR MAKES 2/C-619 $10.25

C-619 appears to be the old style straight hinge straps (pre "goose neck") for the tip up canopy frame. A bit strange since I think they have always been welded to the canopy frame.

So, I think I can hack it up as a drill guide.

Last edited:
It's been 25 years ago but.............

If I remember correctly that is material left over from main spar cap laminations if you opted for the Phlogiston spar.

Right size, but it only needs an inch... why would I have 10 inches

Years ago when I asked the folks at Vans' about the whys of left over stuff, they responded that it was less expensive (to the end user) to have one common p/n that is used across several airframes than to have multiple p/n's specifically dimensioned for each airframe. That way, several airframes can use the same part numbered raw material and have the builder use and fabricate what is needed. This saves Van mfg cost, p/n inventory, and p/n tracking time and year end inventory tax burden expenses.

Back