What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

breaking tank seal

dglye

I'm New Here
I am trying to remove my gas tanks, but the appear to be sealed to the wing spar. How do I break this seal? Thanks

There are 6 or 7 sets of bolts inside the wing which attach the tanks through Z brackets. You access those through the inspection panels.

Have you removed all of them?

If so, the tank was probably installed with some uncured proseal on the exterior that glued it to the rest of the wing. I helped remove one of *those* and it required a wooden scraper to cut through the proseal/glue. That proseal spot was only the size of a quarter, but it was a LOT of work to break it loose/cut through it without damaging anything.

There are 18 bolts that need to be removed through the wing bottom access panels, 3 bolts accessed through the wing root fairing, and then the aileron push rod needs to be disconnected from the tank attach bracket.

The z bracket that gets nested into the wing spar at the wing root is tight - you typically need to rock the tank back and forth to get it out.

When all else fails, take a look at the instructions on installing the tank, and just reverse the procedure.

Thanks

Thanks, got the bolts at the wing root, but didn't realize there were more under the access panels.

There are 18 bolts that need to be removed through the wing bottom access panels, 3 bolts accessed through the wing root fairing, and then the aileron push rod needs to be disconnected from the tank attach bracket.

The z bracket that gets nested into the wing spar at the wing root is tight - you typically need to rock the tank back and forth to get it out.

When all else fails, take a look at the instructions on installing the tank, and just reverse the procedure.

Quick question on the fuel tanks that came with the quick build wings.

A piece of paper was included in the box that said ?warning tank has not been permanently attached?.
However when reaching in and checking a few bolts, everything seems to be very permanent.
Typical?
Lloyd
10 in progress

Quick question on the fuel tanks that came with the quick build wings.

A piece of paper was included in the box that said ?warning tank has not been permanently attached?.
However when reaching in and checking a few bolts, everything seems to be very permanent.
Typical?
Lloyd
10 in progress

My QB -10 had no warning. But on inspection I found all of the aft tank attach bolts were one size too long, and they all had been torqued with 3 or 4 washers under the bolt head. Maybe yours, too?

Mine all seemed securely fastened, but I took the tanks off to leak test them and install the fuel level sender. Also a fuel return fitting (for EFII).

So you'll likely want to take the tanks off and do the first couple of things and then reattach them making sure things are torqued correctly.

My QB -10 had no warning. But on inspection I found all of the aft tank attach bolts were one size too long, and they all had been torqued with 3 or 4 washers under the bolt head. Maybe yours, too?

A prime example to thoroughly check everything you did not do yourself.

Back