What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot kit

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Just had a quick glance at what would be involved in mounting the servos and linkage for the autopilot. I cannot for the life of me see what would take six months to a year to develop. The servo mount is there as far as I can tell , just like the RV-10 set up. The only thing left is the connecting rod set up.

Dynon servo install

Dynon has a "Generic Push-Pull servo installation kit" which contains almost all the items you would need (you have to cut the pushrods to length and tap the ends yourself)

https://www.dynonavionics.com/downl.../Generic_Kit_Push-Pull_Instructions_Rev_F.pdf

For the RV-14 you also need the extra bracket for the roll servo, $10 from Dynon. (It's labeled "support bracket" on page 8 of the RV-10 roll servo installation guide:)

http://www.dynonavionics.com/downlo...ilot/RV7,8,10_Roll_Kit_Instructions_Rev_H.pdf

I installed the Garmin servo's (both pitch and roll). Just purchased the RV10 install kits and they fit perfectly in the RV14 with no alterations.

I'm hearing that Van's will be providing new mounts for our servos (did not hear it from Van's, but they did say parts were not in from the vendor).

Typical Van's support on the RV-14; non existant!

Now now...let's be fair. Scott frequently answers questions on this forum (sometimes on weekends) and I've had pretty good support from Vans via email and phone...not perfect, but pretty good.

I'm hearing that Van's will be providing new mounts for our servos (did not hear it from Van's, but they did say parts were not in from the vendor).

Ron,

You don't need to wait on anything from Van's for the servo brackets, just like someone else said, get the Generic kit, or the one for the 10. I ordered the 10 pitch (pg. 15-36 G3X Installation manual) and it had the extra bracket in it that you don't need, however, if memory serves me, it also had a tapped rod in there. I also ordered the 7/8/10 roll kit (pg. 15-30). In the generic kit, the rod is solid aluminum and you have to cut it to size, drill and tap it. It is cheaper for the generic kit without the brackets (pg. 15-21), but I think for that roll servo you need that little support bracket that is mentioned.

The generic kit part # is: 011-02952-00 and that extra bracket for the roll servo is: 115-01854-06. If you could figure out a part number for the tapped rod and order that, I would. Hope that helps.

servo kit

I installed the Garmin servo's (both pitch and roll). Just purchased the RV10 install kits and they fit perfectly in the RV14 with no alterations.

Do you have any photos of your autopilot servo kit installed?

I purchased the generic 011-02952-00 and they have the solid rods that need to be cut and threaded. I am not equiped to do that. Also there is the small brackett that makes it a three point attach for the roll servo that I do not have.

I may have to eat these and re-order the whole servo install kit to get the threaded rods and small bracket #7 on the diagram.

Last edited:
For the roll servo, the extra bracket is available from Dynon for $10

The generic Dynon kits have rods which are drilled but not threaded. the holes need to be enlarged to 7/32 (or #3) for a 1/4 in 28 NF tap, just a few bucks and fairly easy to do, just use lots of oil and go slow, back 'n forth...

Do you have any photos of your autopilot servo kit installed?

I purchased the generic 011-02952-00 and they have the solid rods that need to be cut and threaded. I am not equiped to do that. Also there is the small brackett that makes it a three point attach for the roll servo that I do not have.

I may have to eat these and re-order the whole servo install kit to get the threaded rods and small bracket #7 on the diagram.

Google that small bracket, you can order that from the part # I listed in the previous post. Also, when I ordered the kits originally with the brackets before I knew they included them, one of them had the threaded rod and the other one didn't. So, there is no guarantee you will get the "two" threaded rods if you order the kit. I would call whomever you got the servos from and ask them if they can get you the rods and the little bracket.

When to order servos

Completing the fusalage kit now, wings are complete.
Installing flap and elevator control push rods soon.
I was just wondering if I need to have the auto pilot servos at this point, or wait until later in the build?

the pitch servo can be installed anytime, even after the build is complete. The roll servo i much easier to install with the wings off the airplane

Back