What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling plumb bobs

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Cowling fitting

Looking at page 45-08 step 11. What distance should be within 1/16 inch? Is it each side to the level on the floor? Any tips for doing it solo or improved methods?

Last edited:
What distance should be within 1/16 inch? Is it each side to the level on the floor?

Yes

The only purpose of the level on the floor is to account for the fact that after leveling the fuselage, it is not possible to just measure to the floor because a lot of shop floors are far from level.
Set up a 4 ft level, level, on the floor, gives you a valid reference point to measure too.

And I believe you are measuring the vertical distance from the points on the cowl to the level you set up on the floor. Since your plane is leveled in roll, you are leveling your cowl in roll so they align properly.

Now I?ve measured the top cowling and marked/removed 1/8 gap from the aft cowling edge. When I push the cowling back to the final position is says to have 3/16 gap between the spinner plate and the cowling at lower inlet. I only have 1/8 gap there and if anything the top is closer a bit. I have the washer in place to account for later engine droop. But it looks to me like I?m in the post-droop setup now. And it?s too close.

Should I add a few more washers to make the cowling front a little lower? Should I trim another 1/16 off the aft edge of the upper cowling?
I?ll call Vans when it?s time....

Vans answer was trim the aft end to permit a 3/16 gap and don?t worry about the drropnof the engine so much.

Back